A fun play on traditional Dukkah, this Bagel Seed ‘Dukkah’ makes an easy and tasty appetizer in 5 minutes. Dip bread in oil, then in seeds. Eat. Repeat.
So to make beyond simple appetizer, go to your local bulk food or grocery store to buy 5 ingredients – a couple of tablespoons of poppy and sesame seeds, salt, dried minced onion and granulated garlic. Mix them together in a bowl. Cut up some fresh bread and pour some olive oil in a small bowl for dipping. That’s it. Easiest appetizer ever.
- Depending on the type of salt you use (kosher or sea salt flakes), the amount may vary. Start with less, taste, then add to your liking. I initially used a teaspoon of fine sea salt (mistake) and had to add a LOT more seeds to balance the taste.
- Have some toothpicks on hand for those pesky poppy seeds (and maybe gum too for the onion and garlic).
- If you have any left over bagel seeds, you can use them to sprinkle on eggs, avocado toast, veggies, salads, humus or anything else you can think of.
Tailor To Your Taste
- You can add other seeds or ground nuts. For example, I saw a mixture of flax, hemp and chia seeds at my bulk food store so I threw some in for a bit of extra nutrition.
- You can flavour your oil with chopped fresh herbs.
- Definitely. Store in a sealed container or sealed bag.
Here’s a more traditional Dukkah to try:
Homemade Dukkah Appetizer get the recipe
I got this idea from the more traditional Homemade Dukkah Appetizer recipe above and adapted a bagel seed combo from Two Peas & Their Pod.