Company dropping by in 10 minutes? Or craving something sweet? These soft, moist fudgy microwave brownies will do the trick. Serve warm with ice cream.
If you’re craving something sweet, need a quick dessert or feeling lazy, these fudgy brownies definitely fit the bill. They are moist, satisfying and super fast to make. Less than 4 minutes preparation and less than 4 minutes to bake. The trick here is the microwave. I’ve been making this recipe for over 25 years (yes, there were microwaves back then). When I first got a microwave, I experimented with defrosting, cooking, warming, reheating and baking. Honestly, some things weren’t that great e.g. cooking chicken or meat, but certain tasks were absolutely brilliant – and still are. This fudgy brownie recipe, created by Norene Gilletz, was a keeper. It’s fast. It works. And it’s good.
I’ve adapted the recipe to the now-more-powerful microwaves on the market. Mine is 1200 watts. Back in the day, they were 600-700 watts. So the brownies used to take 5-6 minutes to bake. Now they take about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes.
Serve the microwave brownies warm with ice cream and hot fudge or berry sauce. Mmmm.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Microwave for 3 1/2 minutes for fudgy brownies and 4 minutes for cakier brownies. This asssumes a 1200 watt oven. If your microwave has lower power, add on 10-20 seconds.
- You can bump up the richness and texture by adding chocolate chips or nuts.
- Spread with chocolate icing or serve plain sprinkled with icing sugar.
Make Ahead Microwave Brownies
- These brownies keep well on the counter, covered, for several days. Or freeze them for up to 3 months.
8 Minute Fudgy Microwave Brownies
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate (2 squares)
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips and/or chopped nuts (optional)
- MAKE THE BATTER: Microwave butter and chocolate for 1 1/2 minutes on High in a measuring cup or bowl or until melted. Using a food processor or electric beater, mix chocolate-butter mixture, flour, eggs, baking powder, vanilla and salt for a minute to combine well. Batter will be thick. If using, mix in chocolate chips and/or chopped nuts.
- MICROWAVE BROWNIES: Pour batter into ungreased 8 inch round or square microwavable pan e.g. pyrex. Push batter to sides a bit so that there is a bit less batter in middle. Place pan in middle of microwave tray on an inverted plate. You want the pan raised off the floor of the microwave. Microwave on High for 3 minutes 30 seconds. To test if brownies are done, the top will be dry to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the brownies will come out almost clean. If not quite done, microwave for another 10-30 seconds. Timing will depend on your microwave power. Mine is 1200 watts. Lower wattage needs more time. Let brownies cool for 10 minutes. Cut and serve warm with ice cream. And maybe caramel or hot fudge sauce too!
Here’s another quick snack or treat you might like:
3 Minute Creamy Chocolate Fudge get the recipe