Make-Ahead Baked Apple&Pear French Toast Recipe
- 4 cup bread ripped or cubed (I remove crusts) - about 1/2 loaf
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 cup milk (I use 2%)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (or less)
- 0.5 tsp vanilla
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1 large apple (gala, honey crisp, cortland, macintosh, other)
- 2 pears (bosc, bartlett, other)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 0.25 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375F when ready to bake.
- PREPARE THE BASIC FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE: Spray an 8 x 8 inch ovenproof dish with oil or grease well with butter. Place bread cubes in the pan. Whisk eggs, milk, cinnamon, brown sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Pour over bread, making sure all pieces get soaked.
- PREPARE APPLE-PEAR MIXTURE: Peel and core apple and pears. Slice apples thinly (about 1/8 inch) and pears a little bigger. Heat skillet to medium and add all apple-pear mixture ingredients EXCEPT the pears. Saute for a few minutes until mixture is bubbly and apples begin to soften. Add pears and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- ASSEMBLE: Pour half of apple-pear mixture onto the pan over the bread mixture. Lightly toss so that the apple-pear mixture is scattered throughout the bread mixture. I use clean hands for this. It's fine if a few pieces of fruit are sticking up or on top. At this point, it's ready to bake. To make ahead, cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the fridge until you are ready to use it (not more than a day and a half ahead). Also store the other half of the apple-pear mixture in the fridge to be used as a topping when serving.
- BAKE AND SERVE: Bake the casserole for about 50 minutes until lightly browned. It will puff up. If you like it soft and more pudding-like, bake it less. If you like it drier and crispier, bake it more. Just before serving, reheat the rest of the apple-pear mixture in a skillet or in the microwave. Scrape along the sides of the pan before cutting. Serve topped with the apple-pear mixture and a dollop of yogurt or sour cream if desired. Pass the maple syrup.