Chicken Burgers with Mango-Avocado Salsa Recipe
I've recently become a convert from beef to chicken for my burgers because I found a way to make them juicy, flavorful and delicious. Grilled Chicken Burgers with Mango-Avocado Salsa are great weeknight family fare.
Servings: 5 burgers
- 0.5 cup bread, torn into tiny pieces (I use a bun)
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise (or milk or broth) (or milk or broth)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley (about 2 tablespoons dried)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs minced chicken (white or dark. I use dark)
- 5 buns, split in half
Mango Avocado Salsa
- 1 large mango or 2 small
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: splash of honey or maple syrup; pinch of garlic powder, chili flakes and/or ginger
- Heat BBQ grill to medium high (400-450F).
- MAKE SALSA: Peel and dice mango and avocado into small pieces. Place in small bowl. Add lime, salt, pepper and optional ingredients if using. (I add maple syrup). Set aside.
- MAKE PANADE (BREAD 'PASTE'): In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients (not including chicken, buns and salsa ingredients). Let stand a few minutes if using milk or broth to allow liquid to absorb.
- FORM BURGERS: Add minced chicken. Using your hands, mix lightly with panade to combine. Wet your hands and lightly form mixture into 5 patties (about 1/3 pound each). Try not to overwork the meat. Slightly depress each patty in centre to avoid it puffing up on grill.
- GRILL BURGERS: Lightly spray burgers with oil to avoid sticking to grill (I find this works better than spraying grill directly). Grill 2-4 minutes per side until instant thermometer reaches 165F.
- SERVE: Grill or toast buns. Place bottom half of toasted buns on platter and add burgers. On each burger, top with some salsa and a dollop of BBQ sauce if desired. Top with other half of bun. Serve.