Shrimp Chowder Thai-Style Recipe
Shrimp Chowder Thai Style combines the heartiness of a chowder with Asian notes of [dairy free] coconut milk and curry paste. Creamy, spicy and fabulous
Servings: 3 main course (or 6 as a starter)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded or matchstick carrots
- 1 small red pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small can water chestnuts, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tsp red or green curry paste
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp marjoram
Shrimp and Finishing Part
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled, de-veined, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach (optional)
- squeeze of lemon or lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- SAUTE VEGETABLES: In a large pot, heat the butter on medium high and saute carrots, celery and onions for 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes, water chestnuts and curry paste. Stir in flour. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- ADD LIQUIDS AND SEASONINGS: Add broth, coconut milk and seasonings. Bring to boil, stirring. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender and broth is thickened.
- ADD SHRIMP AND FINISH CHOWDER: Increase heat to medium high. When broth is at a low boil, stir in shrimp and spinach (if using). Cook for 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Add salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze in lemon to taste, starting with 1/4 of a lemon. Remove bay leaf and serve.
To make ahead: When soup finishes simmering, cool and refrigerate. When ready to use, heat the soup and complete the last step of adding shrimp and spinach.