East Meets West Chowder Recipe
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 0.5 cup shredded or matchstick carrots
- 1 small red pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 0.5 cup diced onion
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1 small can water chestnuts, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tsp red or green curry paste
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2.5 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 0.5 tsp thyme
- 0.25 tsp marjoram
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled, de-veined, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cup fresh baby spinach (optional)
- squeeze of lemon or lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- SAUTE VEGETABLES: In a large pot, heat the butter on medium high and saute carrots, celery and onions for 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes, water chestnuts and curry paste. Stir in flour. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- ADD LIQUIDS AND SEASONINGS: Add broth, coconut milk and seasonings. Bring to boil, stirring. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until vegetables are tender and broth is thickened.
- ADD SHRIMP AND FINISH CHOWDER: Increase heat to medium high. When broth is at a low boil, stir in shrimp and spinach (if using). Cook for 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Add salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze in lemon to taste, starting with 1/4 of a lemon. Remove bay leaf and serve.
- (To make ahead: When soup finishes simmering, cool and refrigerate. When ready to use, complete the last step of adding shrimp and spinach.)