- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:1h 30m
- Serves: 8
- Yield: 2 appetizers per person
- 2 medium beets (red, golden, striped)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 sheet puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg (plus 1 tsp water) for egg wash
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- honey, for drizzling
- garnish: basil leaves, diced peaches or pears, goat cheese, pea shoots, etc)
- Preheat oven to 425F
- ROAST THE BEETS: Cut off the green stems of the beets. Scrub the beets under running water to remove dirt and sand. Oil the beets, then wrap tightly in tin foil. Place them on a foil-lined pan (in case they drip) and roast for about an hour or until tender. Remove from oven and let cool a bit. Over the sink, slide off the skins. Wash your hands right away to avoid stains from the beet juice. Slice thinly - about 1/16 to1/8 inch - using a sharp knife.
- PREPARE PUFF PASTRY: Unroll the sheet of puff pastry and lay it on a parchment- or foil-lined baking pan. Blend water and egg to create an egg wash. Lightly brush puff pastry with egg wash. Cut pastry in half to make two pieces (optional, for easier handling).
- ASSEMBLE, BAKE, SERVE: Crumble half the goat cheese on the puff pastry leaving a 1/2 inch edge all around. Cover with the beet slices, overlapping a bit. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sprinkle more goat cheese on top OR wait until tarts are baked and sprinkle fresh goat cheese on top. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until puff pastry is golden and crispy. Drizzle honey over the tarts. Add garnish if desired. Cut each rectangle into 8 pieces for a total of 16 appetizers. Serve immediately or at room temperature.