- Prep Time:12m
- Cook Time:18m
- Total Time:30m
- 2 carrots, peeled, diced
- 2 celery ribs, washed, diced
- 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded, diced
- 1 large potato, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- OPTIONAL: 2-4 tablespoons half and half cream (add later)
- 2-3 cups baby spinach (add last)
Seasonings/Aromatics for Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Chicken Meatballs (about 20 2-inch)
- see Two Kooks recipe ingredients (and recipe below) found at https://twokooksinthekitchen.com/recipes/recipe/chicken-paprikash-meatballs-recipe/ and recipe below. Or use any other recipe (or frozen).
- Heat oven to 425F if making Two Kooks chicken meatballs Otherwise use any cooked meatballs.
- MAKE VEGETABLES AND SAUCE: Heat oil in skillet or large saucepan to medium high. Add diced vegetables and saute for 4 minutes. Add flour and stir to combine. Lower heat to medium and cook another 3 minutes, stirring. Stir in broth. Bring to boil then cover and lower heat to medium low. Simmer vegetables for 10-12 minutes or until tender and easily pierced with a knife. Broth will be thickened.
- MAKE CHICKEN MEATBALLS (or use frozen): While vegetables are simmering, make meatballs from Two Kooks recipe . Can be made a day or two ahead. Alternatively, use a shortcut and heat frozen meatballs according to package directions. TO MAKE MEATBALLS: Line a large baking pan with parchment or foil sprayed with oil. In a medium bowl, add 2 slices bread torn into tiny pieces and 3 Tbsp. milk. Let soak for a minute until liquid is absorbed. Add 1 1/2 Tbsp grated onion, 1 1/2 Tbsp. ketchup, 1/2 Tsp. garlic powder, 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley (or 1 Tbsp. dried), salt and pepper to taste. Mix together. Add 1 1/2 pounds white or dark minced chicken (I use dark) and lightly mix all ingredients together. Mixture will be very moist. Wet your hands (do this periodically) and form into meatballs about 2 inches. (I don't worry about them being perfectly round). Place on pan and bake for 13-15 minutes or until cooked through.
- FINISH STEW: Add spinach (roughly chopped if desired, but not necessary) to vegetables and sauce. Stir until wilted about 30 seconds. Add splash of cream if using. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add more broth if too thick. Stir in meatballs and cook for a few minutes to heat through. Ladle into bowls or plates and serve with crusty bread or warm biscuits.