- Prep Time:1h
- Cook Time:1h
- Total Time:2h
- Yield: 4 individual pot pies
- 2 whole (4 split) chicken breasts, skin on, bone in
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 cups homemade chicken stock (I used Knor chicken broth instead)
- 2 chicken boullion cubes
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 and 1/2 sticks)
- 2 cups chopped onions (about 2 onions)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cream (I use half and half)
- 2 cups carrots, diced (1/2 to 3/4 inch)
- 2 cups celery, diced (1/2 to 3/4 inch)
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced (1/2 to 3/4 inch)
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
For pastry crust
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 pound (one stick) cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup ice water
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place chicken on foil-lined plan, rub with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, roast for 35-40 minutes until done (165F)
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, take skin off, remove meat from bones and dice into chunks (e.g. 1.5 inches). You will have 3-4 cups. (see SHORTCUT below)
- Blanch (boil) vegetables in a pot of boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
To make pastry crust:
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in bowl of food processor fitted with metal blade.
- Add butter and shortening. Use your fingers to make sure each piece is covered in flour (watch your fingers! better yet, use a spoon). Pulse processor 10 times.
- With motor running, start adding 1/2 cup ice water and process just until dough is moistened and comes together (you may need a bit more ice water).
- Place dough on floured surface and knead quickly into a ball. Wrap in plastic and then let it rest in fridge for 30 minutes.
To Make sauce:
- In a medium saucepan, heat stock with boullion cubes until cubes are dissolved.
- In a large pot, melt butter and saute onions over medium heat until translucent, 10 minutes
- Mix in flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the hot stock, whisking to combine well. Cook a few minutes until sauce is thickened.
- Add 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste), 1/2 teaspoon pepper. and cream.
- Add chicken, blanched vegetables and peas to the sauce. Stir.
To assemble and bake
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Divide chicken mixture evenly among 4 oven-proof bowls.
- Divide the dough in 4 pieces and roll each piece in an 8 inch circle. Dough should be about 1/4 inch thick.
- Spray some oil on your fingers and brush them along the outside edge of the bowls (and down the side about an inch). This will make clean up much easier.
- For each pot pie, place the dough on the filled bowl, mold or crimp over the sides and trim to 1/2 inch overhang.
- (At this point, you can put the individual pies in the fridge covered.)
- Brush the dough with egg wash and make 3 slits on the top. Decorate with bits of extra dough if you like.
- Place pot pies on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 1 hour until golden brown.