- Prep Time:15m
- Cook Time:15m
- Total Time:30m
- 3/4 cup sugar
- zest of 1 large lemon
- zest of 1 large orange
- pinch salt
- 1 sheet, frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Heat oven to 425F.
- PREPARE CITRUS SUGAR: Put sugar, lemon zest, orange zest and salt in a small bowl. Mix to combine.
- ROLL DOUGH: Spread half of the sugar mixture on a cutting board lined with parchment paper. Lay the dough flat over the sugar. Sprinkle the other half of the sugar on top of the dough. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 13 x 13 square to about 1/8 inch, embedding the sugar into the dough. It's ok the have sugar left on the sides.
- FOLD AND CUT DOUGH: Fold one side of dough to the middle. Fold the opposite side of dough to the middle. Fold the first side again to the middle, doubling it. Then the opposite side. Now fold one double-folder side on top of the other. You now one roll with 6 layers of dough. Slice the roll every 1/3 -1/2 inch, ending up with about 25 slices. Place on two parchment lined pans, cut side facing up and 2 inches apart (they will spread). For heart shapes, open the tops of the "ears". Press down slightly on each palmier with the palm of your hand. Add a small sprinkle of leftover citrus sugar on each Palmier if you want some extra caramelization.
- BAKE: Bake the Palmiers for 9 minutes, flip over, then bake another 5-6 minutes or until golden brown. The timing will depend on how thick you cut the dough slices. Don't let them get too dark or they will be too hard/crunchy. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before serving. Store in an airtight container if making ahead. Or freeze.