Please follow and like us:
- Total Time: 12m
- Serves: 8
- Yield: 16 crostini appetizers
- 1/2 bread (baguette, ciabatta or other)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lime
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in 4 (or heirloom chopped)
- balsamic glaze (NOTE 1)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (optional)
- MAKE THE CRUDITE: Cut 16 slices of baguette sized bread about 1/4-1/2 inch thick (or use larger bread and cut in halves or quarters). Toast in toaster oven until golden brown. (Alternatively grill bread for a minute per side or bake at 375F for about 8 minutes). Bread should be fairly crisp. Brush with olive oil on both sides using pastry brush. Then rub one side of bread with the cut half of a garlic clove.
- MAKE THE AVOCADO: Cut avocado in half. Remove the pit. Scoop out the avocado into a small bowl, discarding the skin. Squeeze in juice of half or three-quarters of a lime sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mash, taste and add more lime and salt as desired. Add pepper to taste.
- ASSEMBLE: Place crostini on a serving platter or wooden board. Divide avocado evenly over crostini and spread. Place a few cherry tomato halves on top. Just before serving, drizzle with Balsamic Glaze. Try a zig zag pattern, drizzling balsamic over crostini and onto platter for a nice presentation.
- NOTE 1: If you can't find a bottle of Balsamic Glaze/Reduction at the store, you can make it bringing to boil a half cup of balsamic vinegar and two tablespoons honey or brown sugar, then reducing heat to a simmer and simmering for about 15 minutes until it reduces by half to a syrup consistency (thick enough to coat the back of a spoon).