- Prep Time:15m
- Cook Time:25m
- Total Time:40m
- Serves: 9
- Yield: one 8 x 8 inch pan (double recipe for a 9 x 13 inch pan)
Peach filling for an 8 x 8 inch square pan
- 8 -10 medium-large peaches (about 3-4 pounds or 6 -7 cups sliced)
- 1/2 medium lemon (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (or 1/2 cup if you prefer sweeter)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup oatmeal
- 1/3 cup flour (regular or whole wheat)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (or use 1/4 for less sweet)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup pecan pieces
- Preheat oven to 400F
- PREPARE THE PEACHES: Carefully drop whole peaches in a pot of boiling water. Let them sit for 1 minute. Drain and run under cold water. Skins will slip off easily. Make about 10-12 slits vertically around each peach. Gently pull slices off the pit. Put peaches in a large bowl.
- PREPARE THE FILLING: Add all other filling ingredients to the bowl. Gently mix to combine well. Pour into an 8 x 8 inch oven-proof dish. Make sure there is at least an inch or more to the top of the dish to avoid the mixture bubbling over in the oven. If there isn't, use a slightly larger dish.
- MAKE THE CRUMBLE: Add all crumble ingredients in a bowl and combine well. Sprinkle the crumble mix evenly over the peaches.
- BAKE AND SERVE: Place the peach crumble on a baking sheet lined with foil (for easy cleanup in case of bubbling over). Bake for 15 minutes at 400F. Reduce the oven temperature to 325F. Bake for 20 more minutes or until topping is nicely browned. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream or whipped cream.