Recipe by Modern Honey
- Prep Time:15m
- Cook Time:12m
- Total Time:27m
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons Dark Brown sugar (or 1 cup Light Brown sugar + 1 Tablespoon molasses)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 2 cups + 2 Tablespoons flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips/chunks (combination of milk and semisweet chocolate as you like)
- FINISH: sprinkle of sea salt
- COMBINE AND MELT: In a medium pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add sugars. Remove from heat and stir until mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes. Let cool on stove or put in fridge to cool for 5 minutes.
- ADD LIQUID: Stir in egg, egg yolk and vanilla.
- ADD DRY INGREDIENTS: Use a wooden spoon to fold in flour, salt and baking soda just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips/chunks - make sure mixture is cool first so chocolate doesn't melt - I use my hands to distribute chocolate chips evenly.
- CHILL DOUGH: Wrap dough in plastic to firm it up in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. To bring out the toffee flavour more, chill dough for 24-36 hours. (NOTE: cookies can be baked without chilling if you're in a rush, but they may spread more in the oven and flavour will not be as deep).
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- BAKE: Cut chilled dough into thick slices for easier handling. Form mounds of 1 1/2 to 2 inches and place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. [At this point, the mounds can be frozen and put into ziploc bags to be baked as you need them]. Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown. Remove cookies from oven and sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- COOL: Cool cookies for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack or a plate.