- Prep Time:10m
- Cook Time:12m
- Total Time:22m
- 4-5 slices bread (to make about 3 cups bread cubes)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (or 1/4 tsp. garlic powder)
- 1 apple, cored and diced (no need to peel)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground sage or poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2-3/4 cup vegetable (or chicken) broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- MAKE BREAD CUBES: Toast bread to golden brown. Cut or rip into 1/2 inch pieces/cubes.
- SAUTE VEGETABLES: While bread is toasting, heat butter on medium in a skillet or non stick wok. Add onion, celery, garlic and pepper. Saute for 4-5 minutes. Add diced apple, poultry seasonings and thyme and saute another 2 minutes.
- FINISH THE STUFFING: Add bread cubes and parsley. Mix in 1/2 cup broth to moisten. Add more broth if needed to the consistency you like (more if you like stuffing moist, less if you like it drier). Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Lower heat to low, cover and let it sit for 5 minutes to allow bread cubes to absorb flavours. Stir and serve.