- Prep Time:8m
- Cook Time:22m
- Total Time:30m
- 1 store-bought pound cake loaf
- 1 bag frozen berries (mixed or any combination), about 600 grams
- 1/4-1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice or to taste
- ice cream, toasted pound cake crumbs, lemon zest, whipped cream
- MAKE BERRY SAUCE: Put frozen berries, sugar and lemon juice in a medium pot. Cover pot and heat on medium low, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes until juices begin to release. Uncover, increase heat to medium and cook for 15-20 minutes or until desired consistency is reached. It should coat the back of a spoon. Note that sauce will thicken a bit on standing so don't overcook or it will turn into jam. Taste and add more sugar or lemon if needed. Makes about 2 cups (enough for 6-8 desserts)
- PREPARE CAKE SLICES: To make a shape (heart or diamond for example): Cut straight through the full height of the cake using a cookie cutter or a cut-out paper shape as a guide. Free hand cut is fine too. Then cut shapes horizontally in half or thirds. Otherwise, just slice cake into portion sizes. (you can also make shapes after slicing)
- ASSEMBLE: Spread 3-4 tablespoons of berry sauce on shallow bowl or plate. Place piece of cake on top. If desired, add on top a little more berry sauce, small scoops of ice cream (I used a melon ball scoop), another drizzle of sauce, then a sprinkle of cake crumbs or lemon zest. Serve immediately.
- NOTE 1: TO TOAST CAKE CRUMBS: Heat toaster oven/oven to 400F. Crush a small piece of cake (about 2 inch square) with hands onto a pan lined with foil into crumbs. Toast in oven for about 4 minutes (watch they don't burn). When cooled, crush further if needed into fine crumbs.