Please follow and like us:
- 2 to 2.5 pounds New York Striploin steaks (1.5-2 inches thick). Boneless ribeye can be used instead.
- salt, pepper, garlic powder
- olive oil for drizzle
- 6 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon each, salt and pepper
Salad, Grilled Vegetables and Quinoa Option (if using)
- 1 cup quinoa (plus 1 3/4 cups water, 1/2 tsp salt)
- 2 Japanese eggplants, sliced into 1/2 inch discs
- 2 red or orange peppers, cored/seeded, sliced into 3-4 pieces each
- 1 large onion (red or white), sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 4-5 cups lettuce or fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- chopped parsley (garnish)
- HEAT THE WATER IN SOUS VIDE MACHINE: Fill the sous vide machine about 3/4 full with water. Set the temperature to 132-133F for medium rare (or according to your machine guidelines). The water will take about 15 minutes to reach the correct temperature (or less if you start with warm water).
- SEASON THE MEAT: Sprinkle the steaks with generously with salt and pepper (and lightly with garlic powder if desired) on both sides.
- PREPARE MEAT FOR SOUS VIDE: Fold over a flap on 1-2 vacuum seal bags (use maximum 2 steaks per bag). Place two New York Striploin steaks inside each bag and unfold the flap. Plug in the vacuum sealer machine. Seal the bag (and vacuum out the air) as per machine instructions.
- SOUS VIDE THE MEAT: Plunge the vacuum-sealed bag (s) into the pre-heated water bath. They will sink to the bottom. Cover the machine. Walk away. If steaks are 1 inch thick, cook for 1-3 hours. If 1.5 inches thick, cook for 2-3 hours. If 2 inches thick, cook for 3-5 hours.
- MAKE THE BALSAMIC SAUCE: Place all balsamic sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and stir to combine. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. If desired, stir in a tablespoon of cold butter if desired.
- PREPARE SALAD (IF MAKING THIS OPTION): Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with salt/pepper peppers, eggplant, onions, asparagus (or any veggies of your choice). Grill for 3-4 minutes per side or roast at 400F for 20-25 minutes until tender. Cook quinoa: Bring to boil rinsed quinoa, water and salt. Reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes. Mix greens and quinoa and place on large shallow bowl or platter. Add grilled vegetables on top. Set aside.
- GRILL OR PANFRY STEAKS: Heat grill to High. Remove the meat from the sealed bag(s). Discard juices. Pat the meat dry with paper towels. Rub oil over the meat and sprinkle again with kosher salt and pepper. Sear the beef about 1- 1 1/2 minute on each side to achieve nice grill marks. Alternatively, sear in a very hot pan on the stove. No need to rest the steaks. STEAK WITH BALSAMIC SAUCE: Cut steaks into 3 pieces and drizzle on balsamic sauce. Serve and pass extra sauce. STEAK SALAD OPTION: Drizzle a little of the sauce on the salad. Slice the steaks thinly across the grain, cut into bite-size pieces and pile onto the salad/vegetables/quinoa. Drizzle more sauce on top. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature.