It is always a good rule of thumb to cook in season and locally. This dish is healthy, fresh and flavourful and is perfect for a summertime meal. It is also vegetarian and can be made vegan if you prefer!
- Total Time:30m
- Serves: 2
- 3 Medium Zucchini, spiralized into noodles
- 5 Golden Beets, peeled & spiralized into noodles
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Shallot, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup White Wine (Sauvignon Blanc)
- 3 teaspoons Corn Starch
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth
- 1/4 cup Fresh Peas, shelled (or frozen)
- 3 Thyme Sprigs, leaves removed stems discarded
- 1/3 cup Ricotta (or more to taste), crumbled
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- Spiralize zucchini, sprinkle with salt and place in bowl (set aside). Peel and spiralize beets and place in separate bowl (set aside). Shell peas if using fresh and set aside.
- Put large frying pan on medium-high heat. Add olive oil and wait a few mins until it has warmed up. Add shallots and cook until translucent (4 mins). Add garlic and cook for another minute or two until fragrent.
- Slowly pour white wine in and cook off alcohol (about 3-4 mins). Whisk in corn starch 1 tsp at a time until a bit of a paste begins to form.
- Slowly add in broth, whisking it with pan's contents to make sure lumps do not form. Bring heat up to boil and then reduce heat to simmer.
- Add spiralized beets in first and allow to cook for about 2 mins (beets are firmer than zucchini). Then add in zucchini and peas making sure everything is coated with the sauce. Cook for about 4 mins (you want the vegetables to be soft, but still have bite). Season with salt and pepper to taste. * if using frozen peas then add them in when you add in the beets as they will need to cook longer.
- Add in thyme leaves to cook for another minute
- Plate pasta and top with crumbled ricotta cheese.