This versatile Roasted Vegetable and Rice Soup is a hearty, healthy starter or Fall/Winter meal with warm crusty bread. Just simple and satisfying comfort food.
I recently made our Roasted Veggies on Spiced Rice for a dinner party and had leftovers of both the rice and vegetables. This inspired me to make one of my favourite meals – a soup loaded with lots of wholesome goodies that we can eat as a meal with some warm bread and butter. In fact, next time you roast vegetables, make extra to use for dinner the next day. Then tomorrow’s dinner will be on the table in about 20 minutes. Or keep in mind that you can roast the veggies and make the rice ahead of time. The whole soup in fact. It keeps for days and makes a delicious lunch.
This soup is very versatile as you can use any vegetables, seasonings and add-ins you like. I tried it as a vegetarian soup with curry flavours, chili flakes and thyme; and with chicken broth and chopped leftover chicken.
If you don’t have leftovers and are starting from scratch, you simply roast vegetables you like, make some rice, add both to a broth with some onions and seasonings and voila. Done. Not essential, but absolutely delicious, are the homemade croutons on top that soak into the broth for extra flavour and texture. Yum!
Tailor to Your Taste (options)
- I use shaved carrots, cherry tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, green onions and baby spinach (and sometimes asparagus). Other good options are zucchini, butternut squash, green beans and snap peas. Of course you can chop the carrots instead of shaving them with a vegetable peeler.
- Change the flavours with curry powder, cumin and chili flakes. (Add them after you saute the onions).
- After sauteing the onions, brown some regular or spicy sausage.
- Use any rice you like. I prefer Basmati or Jasmine. Or substitute with orzo.
- For the vegetarian version, sprinkle with fresh Parmesan cheese.
- Add a splash of lemon or some lemon zest.
- With a hand held blender, puree half the soup which will make a thicker base.
Other hearty soups you might like:
Corn Chowder with Shrimp (get the recipe)
HEARTY HEALTHY SPICY SAUSAGE SOUP (GET THE RECIPE)
BEEF BARLEY VEGETABLE SOUP (GET THE RECIPE)