Roasted Veggies on Spiced Rice takes a rice side dish to a new level with a beautiful blend of spices and eye-popping roasted vegetables. In fact, two sides in one.
This vegetarian dish is a perfect accompaniment to chicken, fish and meat or as the star on its own. I’ve made it many times with grilled steak, roast chicken and salmon. The vibrant colours give a beautiful flare to the plate. And yes, it’s also delicious. I’ve been asked for the recipe (adapted from Chin Deep by Melissa) more than once.
Needless to say, this recipe is very adaptable with regards to the roasted veggies, spices, herbs and even the rice. Try serving this rice with Maple Lime Salmon, Roast Turkey Breast with Pear Chutney or Mediterranean-Style Marinated Chicken.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Vary the spices for rice to your taste – curry powder, cumin, coriander, chili powder, etc.
- Try different vegetables like asparagus, sweet onion, snap peas, green beans or shaved parsnip.
- Use rosemary, dill or tarragon instead of thyme.
- Any kind of rice is fine, but you can also substitute the rice with cooked small pasta, spaghetti squash or quinoa.
Make Ahead Roasted Veggies on Spiced Rice
- Keep the rice warm in the rice cooker and reheating the veggies in the oven for 5 minutes or, even easier, microwave the assembled dish for a minute or two just before serving.
Roasted Veggies on Spiced Rice
- 4 cups hot cooked rice any kind you will need 1 1/4-1 1/2 cups dry rice)
- 2 large carrots, shaved into strips with a vegetable peeler
- 3 cup roughly chopped peppers (use varied colours)
- 2 cup mushrooms (small whole or pieces)
- 6 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 cup asparagus or snap peas roughly chopped (Optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Spice mix for rice
- 1 tsp smoked or regular paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp fennel (or dill or thyme if preferred)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- COOK RICE: Cook rice according to package directions. Keep warm.
- ROAST VEGETABLES: Put the vegetables In a large mixing bowl, Add oil, salt and pepper. Mix well. Spread vegetables evenly on a foil-lined large baking pan, sprayed with cooking oil. Veggies should be in one layer, so use two pans if needed. Roast for 25-35 minutes or until slightly caramelized.
- MIX SPICES: Meanwhile, mix spices together in a small bowl.
- ASSEMBLE: When ready to serve, toss the cooked rice with the spices and add some butter or olive oil to moisten (about 2 tablespoons). Spoon the spiced rice into a pretty serving bowl. Top with the roasted veggies. Garnish with chopped parsley or thyme sprigs.
Other rice recipes you might like are:
Lemon Dill Rice-Orzo (homemade rice-a-roni) get the recipe
Vegetable Rice with Spicy Peanut Sauce get the recipe
Curried Rice With Raisins get the recipe