Sous Vide Beef Crostini with Horseradish Aioli Recipe
- 0.5 lb steak (Ribeye, Tenderloin or New York Striploin)
- 5 slices bread (depending on size) 1/3 inch thick. I use multigrain artisan loaf
- olive oil for brushing crostini
- 1 garlic clove, halved horizontally
- chopped parsley or chives, garnish
- balsamic glaze homemade or from bottle (optional)
- 0.33333333333333 cup mayonnaise (I use light)
- 1 tsp grated fresh horseradish (or 2 tsp prepared bottled horseradish)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- pinch, salt and pepper, to taste
- HEAT WATER IN SOUS VIDE MACHINE: Fill sous vide machine about 1/3 full with water. Set the temperature to 132F for medium rare (or according to your machine guidelines). The water will take about 15 minutes to reach the correct temperature or less if you start with warm water.
- PREPARE BEEF FOR SOUS VIDE: Sprinkle steak generously with salt and pepper on both sides. Fold over a flap on a vacuum-ready seal bag. Place steak inside bag and unfold the flap. Plug in the vacuum sealer machine. Seal the bag (and vacuum out the air) as per machine instructions.
- SOUS VIDE BEEF: Plunge the vacuum-sealed bag into pre-heated water bath. It will sink to bottom. Cover machine. Walk away. If steak is 1 inch thick, cook for 1-3 hours. If 1.5 inches thick, cook for 2-3 hours. If 2 inches thick, cook for 3-5 hours. When done, remove bag from sous vide machine and turn off machine. Remove meat from bag and let rest for 10 minutes. Pat dry with a paper towel. Heat a cast iron or other pan to medium high. Drizzle steak with oil, sprinkle with salt and brown on each side in pan for a minute or less on each side. Slice thinly across the grain.
- PREPARE HORSERADISH AIOLI: Mix all aioli ingredients together in a small bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- PREPARE AND ASSEMBLE CROSTINIS: Toast bread. Lightly brush one side of toasted bread with olive oil, then rub with garlic. Spread a bit of aioli on each slice. Cut each slice into 2-3 pieces, depending on size of bread. Each piece should be about 2" x 3" or 2" x 2". Top with a slice or two of steak, folded as needed. If desired, add a pea-size dollop of aioli on top and sprinkle with parsley or chives. Transfer to a wood board or other platter to serve. If using, just before serving, drizzle balsamic glaze on top.