Fresh Tomato Lemon Olive Pasta Recipe
Fresh tomato lemon olive pasta is a beautiful blend of sweet summer-ripe tomatoes, lemon-basil zing and salty olives, capers and cheese.
Prep Time12 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time22 mins
Servings (change as needed): 3
- 1 1/4 lb fresh tomatoes, any colour and shape (about 2 large tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (or shaved if preferred)
- 1/2 lb baby rigatoni (250 gm, about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp chopped capers, rinsed (or 1 teaspoon anchovy paste)
- 1.5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/8 tsp chili flakes
- 1/8 tsp salt or to taste
PREPARE TOMATO-OLIVE MIXTURE: Cut tomatoes into chunks and place in a medium bowl. Add olives, basil, lemon zest and cheese.
MAKE MARINADE: In a small bowl, whisk vigorously olive oil, lemon juice, capers, garlic, chili flakes and salt. Add this marinade to the tomato-olive mixture. Set the mixture aside to marinate at room temperature while you boil the pasta.
MAKE PASTA: Put pasta into well-salted boiling water and cook as per package directions until al dente (with a slight firmness). Drain (do not rinse), reserving 1/4 cup of pasta liquid if needed.
ASSEMBLE AND SERVE: Put pasta and tomato mixture into the pot (not over the heat). Mix together, adding some of the pasta liquid - if needed - for a smooth consistency. Drizzle with a touch of olive oil. Adjust seasonings. Pour into a large shallow bowl and serve with a green salad and some crusty bread or slices of cured meats if desired.