Tomato Coconut Curry Poached Salmon Recipe
Salmon gets an Asian flare in this Tomato Coconut Curry Poached Salmon recipe. It makes a simple weeknight meal for 2 with leftover sauce for another use.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings (change as needed): 2 with extra sauce for another use
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic (1 clove)
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder (or 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh)
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk from can
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- OPTIONAL: 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 skinless salmon fillets (about 3/4 pound total)
- 2 tsp red curry paste
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
SAUTE: Heat oil in skillet to medium high. Add onions and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and all seasonings. Stir and saute until fragrant for anther 2 minutes.
ADD LIQUIDS AND SIMMER: Add tomatoes with juices, coconut milk and cilantro. (If using whole tomatoes, crush by hand). Bring to boil, then lower to medium and simmer, uncovered for 12-15 minutes until slightly thickened. Add spinach if using and stir until wilted, one minute. [NOTE: if only serving salmon for 2, save half the sauce for another use.]
POACH SALMON: Add salmon and immerse in sauce. Cover skillet and simmer on medium low for 6-8 minutes, depending on thickness of salmon. Serve in bowls over rice, noodles or topped with homemade garlic croutons.