Creamy Tomato Soup with Cheese Croutons Recipe
Remember Campbell's tomato soup with saltine crackers for dunking? Well, we promise this Creamy Tomato Soup with Cheese Croutons is a way better homemade version. Pure comfort food.
Prep Time8 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time23 mins
Servings (change as needed): 4
For Cheese Croutons
- 3-4 slices bread (I use multigrain)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp EACH, garlic powder, salt, pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or cheddar)
For Tomato Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup chopped onions (1 medium onion)
- 2 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes (recommend San Marzano)
- 1 cup broth (vegetable or chicken) or water
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- Optional: 1 tsp herbs e.g. thyme, basil; chili flakes to taste
- 1/2 cup half and half cream (10%)
PREHEAT OVEN to 400F. Line a pan with parchment or foil.
MAKE BREAD STICK CROUTON: Cut bread slices into 1/2-3/4 inch wide sticks. Toss with oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Bake for 6 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle on cheese and bake for another 4-minutes or until golden brown. Set aside or, if making ahead, store in sealed bag or container when cooled.
MAKE SOUP: While croutons are baking, heat oil and butter in a medium saucepan on Medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes until translucent (not brown). Add tomatoes and their juice (crush tomatoes in your hand as you add them to pot or break them up with a spoon in the pot). Add broth or water, salt, pepper and, if using, chili flakes and/or herbs. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
FINISH SOUP AND SERVE: Puree soup in pot with a handheld stick/immersion blender until smooth. Or, puree in two batches in a blender. Stir in cream Taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt, sugar or pepper as needed. Ladle into bowls and serve with cheese crouton sticks in soup or on the side for dipping.