Pesto Orzo and Vegetables Recipe
A taste of summer, Pesto Orzo and Vegetables is a super flavorful, healthy dish with pesto, spinach, green beans and tomatoes. Ready in 20 minutes.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 1 cup orzo
- large handful green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 cup baby spinach or kale, roughly chopped
- 10 cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 3 tbsp pesto, bought or homemade (Note 1)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or 2 tbsp)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: splash of lemon or lime juice
- Garnish: goat cheese and/or Parmesan cheese
BOIL ORZO AND GREEN BEANS: In a medium pot, bring water with a tablespoon of salt to a boil. Add orzo and boil for 5 minutes. Add green beans. Continue boiling for about 5 more minutes until orzo is soft and beans are tender, but both should still have a bit of 'bite' (al dente). Drain well, then add back to pot.
FINISH THE DISH: Add chopped spinach to orzo in pot and toss well until slightly wilted. Add tomatoes, pesto and enough oil to achieve the consistency you like. Season with salt and pepper to taste. And mix in a squeeze of lemon or lime juice if you like. Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with goat cheese and/or Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
- Pesto: Use any pesto you like or our Classic Basil Pesto recipe: Process in food processor until smooth: 1 cup packed Basil leaves, 1/4 grated Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons pine nuts or walnuts, 1 teaspoon minced garlic and 1/4 olive oil. (makes 1/2 cup)