Mini Caprese Appetizers Recipe
We boost the flavour of these mini caprese appetizers (made with fresh mozzarella, basil and tomatoes) by a marinade and a drizzle of balsamic reduction.
Servings (change as needed): 40 mini skewer appetizers
- 20 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved (gently squeeze out juices)
- 20 mini bocconcini cheese, cut in half (or cut 40 1/2-inch cubes from fresh mozzarella balls)
- 40 fresh basil leaves (or cut large leaves into 1-1 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1/3 cup Italian/Vinaigrette dressing (NOTE 1)
- balsamic reduction for garnish (NOTE 2)
- 40 toothpicks
MARINATE CHEESE: Mix cheese and Italian dressing and let marinate for 30 minutes or overnight. (Note 1 to make your own vinaigrette).
ASSEMBLE SKEWERS: For each appetizer, set half tomato on board/plate (cut side down); pierce tomato through the top with toothpick; place basil leaf on top; then add cube of cheese. (Make ahead: Note 3)
PRESENTATION: Drizzle Balsamic reduction (Note 2) in any pattern on a platter or cutting board. Place appetizers on top. Serve.
- To make your own vinaigrette, whisk together 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon Dijon or grainy mustard, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Add a pinch of dried or fresh herbs if desired.
- To make your own Balsamic reduction, bring to boil 1 cup Balsamic vinegar and 1-2 tablespoons honey. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes to a syrupy consistency, stirring occasionally (it will coat back of spoon). Cool.
- To Make ahead: After Caprese appetizers are assembled on toothpicks, they can be put in fridge, covered with plastic wrap, for a few hours or up to a day. Drizzle Balsamic reduction on platter and plate skewers just before serving.