Orange Teriyaki Butterflied Roast Chicken Recipe
If you like sweet, spicy, orange, garlic, ginger, soy flavors, you will love this Orange Teriyaki Butterflied Roast Chicken. Scrumptious.
Prep Time40 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 1 whole chicken 3-4 lbs, butterflied (Note 1) (I like to use kosher chicken - juicier, alreday brined, more flavorful)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp cold water
- garnish: chopped parsley, green onion or pea shoots
Orange Teriyaki Marinade/Sauce
- 1/3 cup soy
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large orange, juice (1/2 cup) and zest (3 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp sriracha hot sauce (for medium spice)
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400F.
PREPARE MARINADE: Place all marinade ingredients (except 1 teaspoon of orange zest) in a large ziploc bag and squish to combine. Add butterflied chicken, seal bag and massage to coat well. Marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature or in the fridge overnight.
ROAST CHICKEN: Line a roasting pan with tin foil and spray with oil. Remove chicken from marinade, pat dry with a paper towel and place on roasting pan. Pour marinade into a small saucepan. Lightly sprinkle the chicken with salt. Roast for 35-40 minutes. An instant thermometer should read about 150F in the thickest part of the breast.
MAKE ORANGE TERIYAKI SAUCE: While chicken is roasting, bring marinade to a boil in small saucepan. Boil for a minute. Mix 2 tablespoons cornstarch with tablespoons cold water until smooth. Add to boiling mixture and stir until thickened. Lower heat and cook for another minute or two. Brush sauce over chicken, reserving 1/2-3/4 cup of the sauce to pass with the chicken later.
BROIL CHICKEN WITH SAUCE: Turn oven to Broil. Return pan to oven about 10-12 inches from top of the oven. Broil chicken for 5-6 minutes until browned on top (be careful not to let it burn). Chicken should register 155F in the breast or 165F in the thigh when done. Transfer to cutting board. Let rest 5 minutes. Cut into quarters or eighths. Garnish with remaining orange zest and chopped green onions or parsley and serve. Drizzle on extra sauce or pass it on the side.
- To butterfly (spatchcock or flatten) a chicken: Turn chicken over, breast side down. Using a sharp kitchen scissors, remove the backbone by cutting along the length of the backbone on one side, then the other. Turn the chicken over and press down so that the chicken lies flat with breasts and legs all on one level. Discard backbone.