Dumpling Lettuce Wraps with Peanut Sauce (shortcut) Recipe
Frozen dumplings make these dumpling lettuce wraps with peanut sauce a snap. This is a flavourful, super versatile appetizer or light main.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings (change as needed): 4 lettuce wraps
- 10 small frozen or fresh dumplings or pot stickers (or 6-8 larger ones)
- oil (if pan frying dumplings)
- 4 lettuce (Boston Bibb, butter, iceberg) or savoy cabbage leaves
- GARNISHES: e.g. 1/4 cup toasted crushed cashews or peanuts; 1-2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, shredded carrots and/or minced green onions; lemon/lime slices
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 3 tbsp warm water
- 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- lemon or lime juice to taste (1-2 tsp)
- sriracha hot sauce to taste (optional)
PREPARE LETTUCE AND GARNISHES. To toast nuts, shake in dry pan over medium heat until light brown and toasted, about 5 minutes. Transfer to cutting board and roughly chop.
COOK FROZEN DUMPLINGS: Cook dumplings (or potstickers) according to package directions. You can boil (4-5 minutes) or pan fry (about 10 minutes). Set aside.
MAKE PEANUT SAUCE: Whisk together all ingredients for peanut sauce until creamy smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings and level of heat (if using hot sauce). This can be made ahead.
ASSEMBLE AND SERVE: Cut dumplings in half or thirds (or keep whole if preferred). Place equivalent of 4-5 halves small dumplings in each lettuce leaf. Drizzle on peanut sauce. Sprinkle with garnishes (carrots, green onion, nuts, and/or cilantro). Serve on cutting board, platter or individual plates. Pass lime/lemon slices to squeeze on top if desired.
- Make Ahead: Dumplings can be made ahead and kept covered in the fridge for several hours, adding a few drops of oil to prevent sticking to each other. Warm them in the microwave on High for a minute or so before assembling. Peanut sauce and garnishes can also be prepared ahead.