Apricot Chicken Recipe
Sticky, sweet and tangy deliciousness! This Apricot Chicken recipe is a semi-homemade and much better version of that old recipe with onion soup, jam and Catalina dressing.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 1 chicken bone-in, cut in 8ths, trimmed of extra fat
- Garnish: chopped parsley
Apricot Onion Glaze Sauce
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup apricot jam (peach or marmalade ok too)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic, minced (1 clove) or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp each, salt and pepper (or to taste)
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onions, about 1/2 spanish onion (I chop in food processor)
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch (this will help sauce stay on chicken)
- 1/2 tbsp sugar (optional)
Preheat oven to 375F.
MAKE SAUCE/GLAZE: In a large mixing bowl, add all sauce ingredients and mix to combine well. Taste and adjust if needed e.g. more salt, sugar, vinegar, etc. Add chicken and toss to coat evenly. Note 1 for make ahead.
BAKE CHICKEN: Use a pan with 1-3 inch sides that will fit the chicken comfortably, but that is not too big. Line it with foil and spray with oil. Place chicken and sauce in the pan in a single layer, skin side up. Bake for 30-45 minutes, depending on size of chicken. Instant thermometer should read about 160F. Remove chicken and spoon sauce on top if some has slipped off. If desired, broil the chicken 8-10 inches from heat source for about 4 minutes to brown it on top. Watch that it doesn't burn.
SERVE: Transfer to a serving platter, spooning extra sauce on top (or in a separate small bowl to pass around). Garnish with chopped parsley.
- Make Ahead: Make the sauce, toss with the chicken and put in the fridge for a few hours until ready to bake. To marinate overnight, use half the sauce. Then pat the chicken dry a bit (if watery) the next day, add the rest of the sauce and bake before serving. Don't marinate frozen chicken as the sauce will become watery. The baked chicken will keep warm for an hour in a warm 200F oven.
- Craving the old shortcut recipe? Mix a 10 oz bottle of Catalina, Russian or French salad dressing with 1 cup apricot preserves and a package or dry onion soup mix. Pour over chicken and bake at 350F for an hour.