Roasted Glazed Carrot Tzimmes Recipe
A perfect side for Rosh Hashanah or any feast, Roasted Glazed Carrot Tzimmes fuses the delicious, rich flavours of balsamic, maple, orange & cinnamon.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings (change as needed): 8
- 2 lb whole carrots (I used fresh multi-colored from farmer's market)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp each, salt and pepper
- GARNISH: chopped parsley, chopped pistachios or other nuts
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (about 1 1/2 oranges)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp good Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup raisins
Heat oven to 450F
PREPARE CARROTS: If carrots are farm fresh, no need to peel them. Just give them a scrub. Otherwise, peel carrots. Cut thicker carrots in half lengthwise so that all carrots are about the same thickness (to cook evenly).
ROAST CARROTS: Line a small pan with foil and spray with oil. Lay out carrots. Drizzle oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss around to coat evenly then lay out carrots so they don't overlap. Roast 15-20 minutes - turning once with a spatula halfway through - until partially (not fully) soft and starting to caramelize.
MAKE GLAZE/SAUCE: While carrots are roasting, in a small sauce pan, stir all glaze/sauce ingredients together. Bring to boil, reduce to medium and cook for 5 minutes until somewhat thickened and reduced a bit.
GLAZE CARROTS AND FINISH ROASTING: Remove carrots from oven. Pour glaze/sauce carrots and mix to coat evenly. Return to oven and roast for 10-20 more minutes until carrots are tender, but not mushy. NOTE 1). Transfer to platter or bowl. Garnish with chopped parsley and pistachios or other nuts. Serve immediately.
- Final step and serving. Instead of finishing carrots on a sheet pan, transfer to a shallow oven proof serving dish and complete the final glazing step. No need to transfer to a new serving dish.