Easy Egg Drop Soup With Vegetables
This easy Egg Drop Soup is loaded with vegetables and fluffy egg ribbons making it a healthy, low cal and delicious version of the popular Chinese restaurant soup.
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth Note 1
- 2 carrots, peeled, finely diced
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger (or more to taste)
- 3 cups other vegetables, finely diced e.g. asparagus, bok choy, broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower
- 2 tbsp cornstarch (MIx with 2 tbsp water or broth to make a slurry)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten I use a measuring cup with a spout for easy dribbling
- 2 large handfuls fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 large green onions, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- sesame oil to taste (about 1/2-1 tsp)
- Optional: 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sriracha, 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
BOIL BROTH WITH CARROTS: Bring broth to boil. Add carrots and ginger (and soy sauce if using). Lower heat to medium and simmer for about 2 minutes.
ADD OTHER VEGETABLES: Cook for 1-2 minutes just until tender.
THICKEN BROTH; Add cornstarch slurry to the simmering broth. Stir 30 seconds. Broth will thicken slightly. You can make broth thicker if you prefer by adding more slurry e.g. 3 tbsp cornstarch and 3 tbsp. water.
ADD EGGS: Stir simmering broth in a circular motion and slowly pour in beaten eggs while continuing to stir. Eggs will become feathery. Turn off heat.
FINISH SOUP: Stir in chopped spinach to wilt (1 minute). Add chopped green onions. Add sesame oil, salt and pepper to taste (and sriracha and rice vinegar if using). Serve immediately.
- Which broth to use: Try to get the best/richest broth you can for a flavorful soup. Or use homemade. Obviously vegetarians will use vegetable broth. I often use undiluted chicken broth (such as Campbell's Broth in the can) so that I can control the amount of water added and not dilute it too much. Several box brands work well though as the vegetables, ginger, soy etc add extra flavor.
- Make ahead: This soup can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days and rewarmed in the microwave or on the stove. The spinach will not maintain its vibrant green color but the taste won't be affected. One option is to omit the spinach until you're ready to serve the soup.
Calories: 236kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 123mg | Sodium: 217mg | Potassium: 799mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 13612IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 3mg