Cedar Planked Chicken Recipe
You don't need a special smoker to add wonderful smokey flavor to your chicken. Just use simple wooden planks to grill juicy golden Cedar Planked Chicken. Simple and delicious!
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 1 whole chicken or one flattened/spatchcocked chicken NOTE 1 (I use brined/kosher chicken)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (thyme, green onions, oregano, rosemary) or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cedar wood planks (1/8 to 1/4 inch thick)
- chopped parsley or herbs, plus squeeze of lemon for garnish
PREPARE CHICKEN and PLANKS: To flatten a whole chicken, see NOTE 1. Soak the planks in water for 10 minutes if 1/4-1/8 inch thick and 30-60 minutes if 1/2 inch thick.
COAT CHICKEN WITH LEMON HERB MIXTURE: Combine all other ingredients (except planks and garnish) in a small bowl. Coat the chicken all over with the mixture. Place in fridge, covered in a ziploc bag or covered with plastic wrap and marinate for a few hours or overnight. Shortcut: Eliminate marinating step by buying a kosher or brined chicken. Or, let chicken marinate on counter for 30-45 minutes. If refrigerated, bring to room temperature before grilling for 30 minutes.
PLANK AND GRILL CHICKEN: Heat grill to high. Pat planks with paper towel. Spray lightly with oil. Place chicken, skin side up, on the planks (I use two planks side by side if chicken is too wide for one).
Place plank with chicken directly on the hot grill, close the lid for 3 minutes (if 1/8-1/4 inch plank) and 5-8 minutes for 1/2-3/4 inch plank. Planks will start charring and begin to give off smoke. Then turn off burners under the chicken (keep on other burners). Cook undisturbed for about 20 minutes. Shift planks 180 degrees to help with even cooking. Close lid. Turn burner(s) that were off back on to low and cook for another 18-22 minutes or until chicken is golden brown and reaches temperature of 155-160F in breast on instant read thermometer.
SERVE: Transfer chicken to cutting board, loosely cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting into pieces. Temperature will rise. Add garnishes and serve. If not too charred, planks can be rinsed in water (no soap) and reused. If only 1/4 inch, I toss them.
- To flatten (spatchcock) a whole chicken: Turn chicken over, breast side down. Cut along both sides of the backbone using a kitchen scissors or boning knife. Remove backbone. Turn chicken over and press down hard on the breast bone to flatten.
- Make Ahead: this chicken can be made ahead as it's delicious cold or at room temperature.
Calories: 532kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 42g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 143mg | Sodium: 441mg | Potassium: 381mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 583IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 2mg