This not-your-classic version of eggplant dip (Baba Ghanoush) has an Asian twist with sauteed onions, garlic, ginger, soy and rice wine. It;s super flavorful, luxurious, slightly smoky and very tasty.
Servings (change as needed): 4 -5 (yield: about 1 cup)
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable or olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (1 clove)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (or 1/4 tsp ground ginger)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon rice wine (or lemon juice)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- salt to taste (about 1/2 tsp)
- optional: 2-3 drops sesame oil or more
GRILL EGGPLANT: Heat grill to high. Pierce eggplant in several spots with a sharp knife. Place eggplant on grill and cook for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally. Eggplant is ready when very soft (pierced through with knife) and charred. [To ROAST instead, see NOTE 1]. Transfer to colander and slit eggplant open. Let drain and cool. Remove skin and seeds (if any).
MAKE FLAVOR MIXTURE: While eggplant is grilling, heat oil in a small pan to medium heat. Add onions and saute 5-6 minutes until tender. Stir in garlic and ginger for 30 seconds. Add soy, brown sugar, rice wine, chili flakes and salt. Bring to boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
BLEND EGGPLANT DIP: Place cooked eggplant flesh in food processor. Add onion mixture. Process until smooth. Alternatively, use an immersion stick blender. Taste and adjust seasonings to your taste. Add a few drops of sesame oil if using (I do). Serve cold, warm or at room temperature with pita chips, raw vegetables or crackers.
Nutrition values are estimates.
- To roast eggplant: Heat oven to 425F. Rub eggplant with olive oil and pierce with a knife in several places. Place on pan lined with foil. Roast for 30-40 minutes until very tender, turning once or twice part way through.
- Make ahead: Dip can be made ahead and kept in fridge covered or in sealed container for up to 5 days.
Calories: 58kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 547mg | Potassium: 301mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 64IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 1mg