Puff Pastry Tomato Tart Recipe
This casual, rustic puff pastry tomato tart is a simple, tasty appetizer for a casual dinner party or a light lunch served with a salad and a glass of wine.
Servings (change as needed): 8 (16-20 squares) for appetizer
- 1 sheet store-bought puff pastry dough, thawed
- 1 egg, mixed with 1 tablespoon water (egg wash)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes (about 20), cut in half
- 2 tbsp fresh minced herbs (or 2 tsp dried) e.g. basil, chives, dill, oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp capers, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic (or 1/8 tsp. garlic powder)
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400F.
PRE-BAKE THE PUFF PASTRY: Line a rimmed pan with parchment paper. Unfold the puff pastry sheet and set it on the parchment. Stretch it if necessary to about 14 x 14 inches and 1/8 inch thick. Score a line 1/2 inch in from all sides with a knife to make a border (not cutting all the way through). Prick the dough with a fork over the entire sheet of pastry except the border. Spread a very thin layer of Dijon over the inside surface. Brush the border with the eggwash (egg plus water). I use my fingers for both these steps. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. If pastry is puffed up in the middle, gently press it down.
MAKE TOMATO TOPPING: Squeeze handfuls of the tomato halves over the sink to remove most of the juice and seeds (this will help prevent the tart becoming soggy). Place in a bowl. Add oil, capers, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper. Mix together. Taste and add a pinch of sugar if needed.
ASSEMBLE TART AND BAKE: Sprinkle cheeses over the pre-baked tart inside the border. Place tomatoes on top of the cheese in a single layer, cut side facing up. Spoon on any of the tomato seasonings left in the bowl. Bake the tart for another 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven, transfer to a cutting board and cut into 16 squares with a sharp knife. Serve warm . Can be made ahead - Note 1.
- Make Ahead: Follow all the instructions up to and including sprinkling the cheese over the baked crust. 15 minutes before serving, add the tomatoes and bake another 12-15 minutes. Alternatively, complete the full recipe and warm in a 375F oven for 5-6 minutes before serving.