How To Grill Pizza
When you know how to grill a pizza and you have a fresh or store-bought pizza dough on hand, an amazing grilled pizza is only minutes away - any way you like it.
Servings (change as needed): 4
Roasted garlic tomato topping - optional (note 1)
- 4 cups cherry or grape tomatoes (2 pints)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced or grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- OPTIONAL: 1-2 teaspoons good Balsamic Vinegar
Alternative Toppings (note 2)
- 1 fresh pre-made store-bought pizza dough (or frozen, thawed)
- 1 tbsp flour
- drizzle, olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or to taste)
- 8 basil leaves, chopped
BRING DOUGH TO ROOM TEMPERATURE: Set dough on counter in it's bag (opened) or in a bowl. Let it come to room temperature for about 30 minutes.
GATHER/MAKE TOPPINGS: Note 1 for roasted garlic tomatoes; Note 2 for other toppings
Heat grill to MEDIUM HIGH.
SHAPE DOUGH: Transfer dough to a lightly floured cutting board. Cut dough in half or in quarters. (I like to make 4 smaller pizzas). Flatten and spread out pizzas with your hands. If you like, use a rolling pin to make it thinner. Flatten to about 1/4-1/2 inch thick according to your preference (it will puff up when grilling). Drizzle or brush one side lightly with oil and spread to cover dough evenly (this will prevent sticking on grill).
GRILL FIRST SIDE OF PIZZAS: Place pizzas - oil side down - directly on grill. Spray sides facing up with oil or drizzle on oil and spread evenly. Grill about 2 minutes until grill marks appear. Remove pizzas to tray covered in foil. (You can do everything up to this point ahead of time and then finish the last step just before serving).
ADD TOPPINGS AND GRILL SECOND SIDE: Spread garlic tomatoes or other toppings (note 2) over the grilled side of pizzas. Sprinkle on Mozzarella cheese, then basil leaves if desired. Return to grill, uncooked side down. Close lid. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Shift pizzas around if needed to prevent burning in one spot. Transfer to cutting board, cut as desired and serve immediately.
- To make a roasted tomato garlic topping: Heat oven to 425F. Cut cherry tomatoes in half. Squeeze handfuls at a time over sink to get rid of most of the seeds and juice. In a bowl, toss tomatoes, olive oil, salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar (if using). Line a pan with tin foil. Spread tomatoes on pan in a single layer. Roast in oven for 15 minutes until fragrant and withered. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Alternative toppings (instead of roasted tomato garlic topping):
- tomato or pizza sauce, Mozarella cheese and fresh basil
- tomato sauce, chopped olives and basil
- thinly sliced pepperoni or spicy sausage with tomato sauce and basil
- roasted garlic, arugula and brie cheese
- pesto, peach and mozzarella
- roasted garlic, chicken, peach, basil, mozzarella (pictured)
- caramelized onions, chopped chicken, Mozarella
- Make Ahead:
- Complete all but the final step ahead of serving time, meaning up to grilling the second side.
- Or, make the pizzas up to a day or two ahead and warm them in a 350F oven for 8-10 minutes before serving.
Calories: 478kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 1278mg | Potassium: 378mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1179IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 239mg | Iron: 4mg