PF Chang's Chicken Lettuce Wraps (simplified copycat)
These popular PF Chang's chicken lettuce wraps are a real treat for weeknights or dinner parties. Great flavors. Great textures. And surprisingly easy to make, especially with our simplified version.
Servings (change as needed): 8 -10 lettuce wraps
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound (450g) ground chicken (white or dark meat)
- 3/4 cup corn niblets cut off one large corn cobb (or 1 1/2 cups frozen niblets)
- 1 large head of Bibb, Boston or Butter lettuce, Note 1
- 1 cup chopped canned water chestnuts optional
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon Sherry (or dry white wine or mirin)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon oyster sauce (or Hoisin)
- 2 tablespoon Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon Sriracha sauce (for mild-medium heat)
Garnish options (choose what you like)
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup cashews, chopped (about 2 ounces)
- Others: shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, cilantro, sesame seeds, other crushed nuts, diced peppers.
PREPARE LETTUCE: Wash, pat dry and separate lettuce into 8-10 individual leaves. If lettuce is very thin, use a double layer.
PREPARE SAUCE: Whisk all sauce ingredients together in a bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
STIR FRY FILLING: Heat oil in a wok or large skillet to medium high. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes. Add ground chicken, breaking it up with a spoon. Stir fry until all white, stirring frequently about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic for 1 minute. Add corn (or water chestnuts) and sauce to chicken mixture. Cook another 3 minutes until sauce is thickened. Taste and adjust seasonings and heat level to your liking.
ASSEMBLE AND SERVE: Spoon about 1/4 cup/35g chicken mixture (or a bit more) into each lettuce leaf and place on a platter. Add preferred garnish. Pass a squeeze bottle of chili sauce for those who crave spice/heat. Serve as an appetizer/starter at the table or kitchen island (they can be a bit messy to eat on your lap!) or as a main dish.
Nutrition values are estimates for one of 8 wraps and do not include garnish.
- Lettuce: Instead of Boston/bibb/butter lettuce, try the sturdier iceberg or romaine lettuce. PF Chang's uses iceberg. Cut the whole lettuce right down the middle and peel off the leaves.
- Vegetarian version: Omit the chicken and using finely chopped tofu and/or mushrooms instead. Instead of oyster sauce, use hoisin.
- Other Substitutes
- Chicken: Instead of ground chicken, use ground turkey or pork
- Sherry: If you don't have sherry, you can try fortified wine, mirin or white wine with a dash of sugar. Or leave it out and reduce the cornstarch a pinch.
- Oyster sauce: Replace the oyster sauce with Hoisin sauce (not the same taste, but still good).
- Heat level: The recipe includes a mild-moderate amount of heat with Sriracha, but feel free to add it more liberally (or pass some chili oil at the table)
- Use chopped water chestnuts for crunch instead of the corn. I often use both.
- Add chopped mushrooms if you like and cook them with the onions.
- The recipe calls for cashews but any chopped nuts will work.
- Sprinkle on sesame seeds
- Add some bold color with matchstick carrots, shredded purple cabbage or red peppers.
- Make Ahead:
- Prep ahead: Make the sauce ahead and prep/chop your ingredients, leaving just the cooking and assembly to do about 10 minutes before serving;
- Make filling ahead: You can also make the entire filling ahead of time, store in the fridge in an airtight container, then reheat it on the stove before assembling into the lettuce cups.
- Make and freeze filling: Defrost the filling before heating on the stove or microwave. If you choose this route, add a pinch more cornstarch so the filling doesn't get too watery.
Calories: 153kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 480mg | Potassium: 456mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 734IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg