Grilled Pesto Shrimp Panzanella
Grilled Pesto Shrimp Panzanella combines fresh tomatoes, grilled bread, plump shrimp and pesto. Summer backyard fare at its best.
Servings (change as needed): 3
- 400 grams large shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 3/4 pound)
- 5 tablespoon pesto, divided (NOTE 1)
- 1/2 small baguette, cut lengthwise in quarters
- 1 clove garlic, cut in half horizontally
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped fresh basil (for garnish)
Heat grill to medium high.
PREPARE SHRIMP: In a medium bowl, mix shrimp with 3 tablespoons of pesto. Thread shrimp onto metal skewers. (If using wooden skewers, soak them beforehand for 10 minutes). Let shrimp sit and marinate for 10-15 minutes if you have time.
GRILL SHRIMP AND BREAD: Spray shrimp skewers with oil to avoid sticking on grill. Grill skewers for 2-3 minutes per side just until translucent. At the same time, grill baguette quarters on all sides until slightly charred. Remove shrimp and bread from grill. Rub cut half of garlic over bread. Cut bread into bite size pieces (1 inch).
MAKE PESTO DRESSING: Mix remaining 2 tablespoons pesto, olive oil and lemon juice together a cup or small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
ASSEMBLE: Put shrimp, tomatoes and cut bread in serving bowl. Pour on Pesto dressing. Mix everything together. Let sit for 10-15 minutes to allow flavors to develop and soak into bread. Add chopped basil for garnish and serve over baby spinach or other greens if desired.
Nutrition values are estimates.
- Pesto: Use any pesto you like (including store-bought) or try our Classic Basil Pesto recipe: Process in food processor until smooth: 1 cup packed Basil leaves, 1/4 grated Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons pinenuts or walnuts, 1 teaspoon minced garlic and 1/4 olive oil. (makes 1/2 cup).
- No Grill? Instead of grilling the shrimp, you can roast them in a 425F oven for 6 minutes. And the bread can be broiled for a couple of minutes.
- Make Ahead: The pesto shrimp salad is even better made ahead to develop the flavors.
Calories: 527kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 338mg | Sodium: 1924mg | Potassium: 369mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 990IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 277mg | Iron: 5mg