Quinoa Sweet Potato Salad
Quinoa Sweet Potato Salad is a delicious hearty salad with wonderful contrasts of sweet-tang, soft-crunch and pastel-bold. A feast for the palate and eyes.
Servings (change as needed): 6
- 2 sweet potatoes or yams
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Quinoa, rinsed
- 1 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoon oil (canola or olive)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cup greens (baby spinach, spring lettuce, Mesclun)
- 2 ounces goat cheese (60 grams or 1/4 cup crumbled)
- roasted or candied nuts or seeds; dried cranberries; and/or roasted beets cut in cubes
Preheat oven to 425F.
MAKE THE ROASTED SWEET POTATOES: Pierce sweet potatoes with a knife. Microwave for 3 minutes. Stand up each yam on a cutting board, peel with a knife, then cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Place on a foil lined pan. Drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with brown sugar and salt. Roast, stirring half way through for 15-20 minutes or until soft and lightly browned. Set aside. Note 1
MAKE THE QUINOA: Place the rinsed Quinoa in a medium pot with the water and salt. Bring to a boil. Set heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes covered, then fluff with a fork. Cool.
MAKE THE DRESSING: In a small bowl, whisk together the first 5 dressing ingredients. Slowly add the oil while whisking until smoothly blended. Add salt and pepper to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon salt should be about right).
BUILD THE SALAD: (on individual salad plates or on one larger shallow bowl): Spread about 1/2 cup per person of Quinoa on the bottom. Drizzle a little dressing on the Quinoa. Add a layer of greens. Sprinkle on crumbled goat cheese. Add the garnishes you are using. Drizzle more of the Maple-Balsamic dressing over the salad - you may not need it all.
Nutrition values are estimates and do not include garnishes like nuts and dried fruit.
- Shortcut sweet potatoes: Microwave until soft (4-5 minutes depending on size).Peel, cut into small cubes, drizzle with 1-2 tsp oil, sprinkle on sugar (or maple syrup) and salt. Toss.
- Make Ahead: Make all components. Assemble. Drizzle final dressing just before serving.
Calories: 357kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 388mg | Potassium: 467mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 11017IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 2mg