Grilled Vietnamese Chicken
I love this Grilled Vietnamese Chicken in Pho, on rice or in salads. The marinade permeates the chicken to make it succulent and delicious.
Servings (change as needed): 2 -3
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (or breasts)
- garnish (optional) - 2-3 green onions
Vietnamese Chicken Marinade
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice (about 1 small lime)
- 1 1/2 tbsp neutral oil (vegetable, canola, olive oil-but not extra virgin)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (low sodium is fine)
- 1/2 tbsp Fish sauce (Note 1)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp minced garlic (2 garlic cloves)
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger - or more if you like (or pinch of ground ginger)
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes (medium to medium-mild heat)
- 1 tbsp cilantro (and more for garnish if desired)
PREPARE CHICKEN: Trim larger pieces of fat from chicken (don't worry about smaller ones - they'll burn off). Pound chicken to even thickness for even cooking. I use the bottom of a pot or heal of my hand.
MARINATE CHICKEN: Place all marinade ingredients in a ziploc bag or sealed container. Mix or squish bag to combine well. Add chicken, Seal bag/container and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or overnight in fridge.
HEAT GRILL to medium-high. Oil grill with paper towel or spray.
GRILL CHICKEN AND SERVE: Remove chicken from marinade (reserve marinade for sauce if desired Note 2). If using low salt soy sauce, lightly sprinkle chicken with salt. Grill chicken for 3-5 minutes per side, depending on thickness of chicken. Instant thermometer should read 160F. Add green onions for last 2-3 minutes if using. Transfer chicken to plate. Cover loosely with foil and let rest 5 minutes. Garnish with green onions and chopped cilantro if desired.
Nutrition values are estimates based on chicken thighs (about 1/2 lb per person). Chicken breasts would have less calories and fat.
- Substitutes for Fish Sauce. Fish sauce is made of fermented fish and shelfish mixed with salt, If you can't eat it or don't want to, here are some substitutes you can use:
- Worcestershire (note this has anchovies in it). Use only 1 -1 1/2 teaspoons.
- Soy sauce (but it won't have the same depth of taste).
- Recipe for Vegan Fish Sauce from Food52.
- Recipe for Vegetarian Fish Sauce using mushrooms by Cook's Illustrated.
- To make sauce from marinade: While chicken is resting, boil reserved marinade in small microwave safe measuring cup or bowl for 90 seconds. Or boil in small pot on stove. This will remove any bacteria. Drizzle over chicken.
- Make Ahead:
- The chicken can be marinated a day ahead, then grilled for 6-10 minutes before serving.
- The cooked chicken is also delicious cold or at room temperature. Use the marinade (cooked) as a dipping sauce if you like.
Calories: 429kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 215mg | Sodium: 1569mg | Potassium: 594mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 129IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 2mg