Purple Cabbage Slaw (Grilled)
Purple cabbage slaw is transformed on the grill into our version of a super flavorful, no mayo coleslaw. The vibrant colors of the red cabbage, julienne carrots, green onion and sesame seeds make a stunning vegetarian side dish.
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 1/2 medium purple cabbage (about 1-1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup julienne (or matchstick) carrots
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds (or more to taste) Note 1
- Garnish: additional chopped green onions
Vinaigrette Dressing (this will make more than you need)
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
HEAT GRILL: to medium-high heat or high (about 450F). Spray a Grill Basket with oil and set on a pan. Note 2
PREPARE AND GRILL CABBAGE: Slice the half cabbage into thin slices (I set the half cabbage on cutting board flat side down. Cut into thin slices, Then cut those slices into thin slices.) Place in grill basket. Drizzle on oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Place grill basket on grill. Cover grill. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir, cook another 3-6 minutes (depending on how much char you want, how small your cabbage pieces are and how crunchy or soft you want the cabbage). Remove and set aside.
MAKE VINAIGRETTE: While cabbage is grilling, place all vinaigrette ingredients in a sealed container and shake well. (Or whisk together all ingredients except oil. Then whisk while slowly adding oil).
ASSEMBLE: In a medium bowl, add grilled cabbage, carrots, green onion and sesame seeds if desired. Add about 3 tablespoons of the Vinaigrette and toss everything together. Taste and add more dressing, salt and/or pepper if needed. Garnish with additional green onion and toasted sesame seeds if using. Serve warm or at room temperature. Can be made ahead and served warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition values are estimates.
- To Toast Sesame Seeds: Place seeds in small pan over medium heat and toast for 4-5 minutes until light brown, shaking pan regularly to avoid burning.
- To grill without a grill basket: Cut cabbage in wedges leaving the core intact. Season with oil, salt and pepper. Grill on both sides until softened (but still with some bite). Chop into slaw.
Calories: 209kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 658mg | Potassium: 333mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3921IU | Vitamin C: 65mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 1mg