Sweet & Tangy Grilled Eggplant Recipe
Eggplant lovers will rave about this grilled eggplant recipe with a sweet and tangy glaze. The beautiful bold colors make this an impressive side dish at any BBQ or picnic.
Servings (change as needed): 4 -5
- 1 medium eggplant
- oil spray (e.g. Pam)
Glaze (Note 1)
- 2 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon Ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar (or white)
- 1 tablespoon Maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch Each: garlic powder, salt, pepper
HEAT GRILL to medium high (425-450F).
MAKE GLAZE: Whisk all ingredients for glaze in small bowl or measuring cup. Note 1.
PREPARE EGGPLANT FOR GRILLING: Cut off stem and bottom of eggplant (discard), then cut eggplant horizontally into 1/2 inch slices. Place rounds on pan in single layer. Brush each eggplant round with glaze on side facing up (I use a pastry. brush). Spray well with oil to avoid sticking on grill.
GRILL EGGPLANT: Place eggplant, glaze side down, on grill. Glaze the plain side facing up. Spray with oil. Close lid and grill for 3 minutes. For cross-hatched grill marks, do a quarter turn of each round and continue to grill for another minute. Turn eggplant over. Close lid and grill the other side for 3-4 minutes. (Note 2 - to broil)
SERVE: hot or at room temperature. If you have a bit of glaze left over, brush top side of eggplant again. (This is optional).
Nutrition values are estimates using a nutrition calculator.
- Shortcut for Glaze: You can substitute the homemade glaze with Catalina or French dressing for a super quick shortcut.
- To broil (instead of grilling): You can broil the eggplant for 3-4 minutes on each side on a pan lined with foil (for easy cleanup).
- Make Ahead: The grilled eggplant can sit on the counter for hours and be served at room temperature. It it can be warmed in the oven (or for a few seconds in the microwave) before serving.
Calories: 116kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 226mg | Potassium: 300mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 70IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg