Beet and Orange Salad Recipe
Fresh, bright and pretty. This Beet, Orange and Goat Cheese Salad is easy to put together and looks beautiful on the table.
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 2 medium red beets (or 3 small)
- 2 oranges (cara cara, navel or valencia).
- 2 ounce goat cheese
- handful of pea sprouts, mache or watercress
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped almonds or any nuts
- 1 tablespoon white, champagne or rice wine vinegar
- 1/5 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/5 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3 tablespoon oil oil
- 1/8 teaspoon each, salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 400F
ROAST THE BEETS: Cut off the green stems of the beets. Scrub the beets under running water to remove dirt and sand. Oil the beets, then wrap tightly in tin foil. Place them on a foil-lined pan (in case they drip) and roast for about an hour or until tender. Remove from oven and let cool a bit. Over the sink, slide off the skins. Wash your hands right away to avoid stains from the beet juice. Cut into wedges or slices - whatever look you are going for. See Note 1 for shortcut.
PREPARE THE ORANGES: Peel oranges and cut into sections in between the membranes. Alternatively, slice oranges into 1/4 inch rounds.
MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE: Place all vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl or glass measuring cup and whisk well to blend.
ASSEMBLE SALAD: Scatter oranges and beets on a serving platter. Crumble goat cheese and scatter around. Top with pea sprouts in an around the beets and oranges. Sprinkle with nuts. Drizzle on vinaigrette and serve.
- Shortcut for beets: Buy whole roasted beets instead of roasting them yourself.
- Make Ahead: Assemble the salad, set aside and drizzle vinaigrette right before serving.