Panzanella Salad Recipe with Peaches
This panzanella salad recipe with peaches is a simple tuscan bread salad that celebrates fresh summer peaches, tomatoes, cucumbers and basil. Great side dish.
Servings (change as needed): 6
- 1 small loaf crusty bread (baguette, ciabatta, italian - day old even better) cut into 1 inch cubes 3-4 cups, Note 1
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes (heirloom, cherry, ripe field), cut into chunks
- 2 -3 peaches, sliced
- 1 small English cucumber, seeded and sliced (leave peel on)
- 1/4 cup -1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- ball of fresh mozzarella or bocconcini cheese, drained and sliced or ripped up (optional)
- Optional: red onion, roasted chopped almonds, julienne beets, etc
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic, grated or minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp white or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 1/4 tsp each, salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 425F
MAKE BREAD CUBES: Toss bread cubes with olive oil and a pinch of salt. Lay in a single layer on a foil lined pan. Bake for about 7 minutes or until golden brown.
MAKE VINAIGRETTE: Put all vinaigrette ingredients into a sealed container (jar, plastic) and shake hard until well blended/emulsified.
ASSEMBLE PANZANELLA SALAD: Place tomatoes, peaches, bread cubes, cucumbers, basil and cheese in a shallow bowl. Pour well-shaken vinaigrette over the salad (you may not need it all). Toss gently. Taste and add more salt and pepper or basil if needed. Let sit for at least 30 minutes (and up to 5 hours) to allow dressing to absorb.
Nutrition values are estimates and do not include optional ingredients.
- To grill bread cubes (instead of toasting them in oven): Cut baguette quarters lengthwise, brush with oil and grill on all sides until slightly charred. Rub cut half of garlic over bread if desired. Cut bread into bite size pieces (1 inch).
- Make Ahead: Because the bread needs a little time to soak up the vinaigrette and juices from the vegetables and peaches, it makes a great make-ahead dish. Make it earlier in the day and keep it on the counter at room temperature until you need it. It's best not refrigerated. The bread cubes can be made several days ahead.
Calories: 279kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 361mg | Potassium: 359mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 691IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 2mg