Bread Salad With Charred Snap Peas Recipe
A simple and vibrant Bread Salad with Charred Snap Peas packs a flavor punch and makes a healthy, versatile two-sides-in one dish. And a pop of color on the plate!
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 2 1/2 cups 1-inch bread cubes (slightly stale is best) I use 4 one-inch slices of multigrain loaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, pepper, garlic powder to sprinkle on bread cubes
- 2 cups snap peas strings removed (Note 1)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced (Optional but delish)
- 1 tablespoon shredded basil leaves add 2 tbsp if you like more basil
Vinaigrette Dressing (Note 2)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic 1 small clove
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (red wine vinegar ok too - or lemon)
- 3 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon each, salt and pepper or more to taste
Heat grill to medium high (about 425-450F)
MAKE VINAIGRETTE DRESSING: Combine all ingredients and whisk vigorously to combine. Or place in lock-and-seal container and shake.
GRILL BREAD CUBES: Toss bread cubes with a tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place in grill basket then place basket over direct heat on grill. Grill for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until bread is golden brown. Transfer bread to a mixing bowl.
GRILL SNAP PEAS: Add snap peas to grill basket. Grill for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally until blistering or charring occurs. Transfer to bowl with bread.
ASSEMBLE: Add to bowl the cherry tomatoes, diced mango (if using) and fresh basil. Pour on dressing and toss to coat bread salad well. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt if needed. Transfer to a serving bowl if desired. Let set for at least 15 minutes to allow bread to absorb dressing.
- How to remove strings from snap peas: See this trimming snap peas video.
- Vinaigrette Dressing alternatives: Feel free to use your own favorite vinaigrette or even buy a good quality dressing. You will need about 1/4 cup or just slightly more. Try a Japanese sesame dressing for an Asian twist, Apple Cider Vinegar dressing or a Balsamic dressing.
- Make Ahead: Bread salad is best made at least 15 minutes ahead to blend the flavors. I suggest serving it within 4 hours to avoid the bread becoming too soggy.
- Instead of Grilling, use oven/stove top:
- For bread cubes: Heat oven to 425F. Place bread cubes, tossed with oil and sprinkled with salt, pepper and garlic powder on a pan. Bake for for 7-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- For snap peas: Heat skillet on stovetop to medium high. Add snap peas and toss for about 4 minutes in a dry pan or until charred in spots.
Calories: 278kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 341mg | Potassium: 330mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1301IU | Vitamin C: 57mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 3mg