Vegetable Pasta Recipe with Wine Sauce
Seasonal vegetables get front row attention in this vegetable pasta recipe with wine sauce. A versatile, vegetarian weeknight meal in 30 minutes with grilled or roasted veggies that you can make ahead.
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 6 cups vegetables, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces Note 1
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 180 gram spaghettini, vermicelli, capellini or spaghetti (about 6 oz. dry pasta)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon garlic, minced about 2 small cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes (medium spicy) optional
- 1/2 cup white wine e.g. Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt start with less if using Parmesan and salted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, Optional
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Heat grill to Medium-high to High (about 475-500F). Spray grill basket with oil. Note 2.
GRILL VEGETABLES (see Note 2 to roast veggies): Place chopped vegetables in grill basket. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly. Place basket directly on grill for 9-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until veggies are slightly charred and tender the way you like them. If your basket is on the smaller side, the vegetables may take a bit longer to cook. Set aside.
BOIL PASTA: Boil pasta in salted water according to package directions. Drain AND reserve 1/2 cup pasta water to thin it to the consistency you like, especially if you are adding Parmesan. TIP: Try to time cooking the pasta to be ready when sauce is ready. If not, set aside and keep warm.
MAKE SAUCE: While pasta is boiling and veggies are grilling, heat oil on medium-high In saucepan or skillet. Add garlic and chili flakes and stir for a minute. Add wine, salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat. Add butter in pieces and stir just until melted.
ASSEMBLE AND SERVE: Add pasta and toss. Add Parmesan cheese if using (reserving a little for passing if desired). Use reserved pasta water to thin it out if needed. Add parsley and grilled vegetables. Toss all together. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve.
Nutrition value estimates do not include optional Parmesan cheese. Calories and fat can be lowered by using less butter.
- Vegetables: use any combination of peppers, mushrooms, red/white onion, asparagus, zucchini, eggplant or others that will cook at the same time.
- Don't have a grill basket?
- Instead of a grill basket, you can cut your vegetables into larger pieces, grill them and chop them up after.
- If you don't have a grill, roast vegetables on a pan, lined with foil and sprayed with oil (or parchment) at 425F for 20 minutes - or until starting to caramelize - stirring once.
- Make Ahead:
- You can prepare the vegetables ahead of time (like earlier in the day) and warm them for a minute in the microwave before adding them to the final dish.
- You can also make the wine sauce ahead not including the Parmesan (if using). Reheat to a boil, turn off the heat, then add Parmesan, parsley and grilled veggies. If you can, make the pasta right before serving.
- Alternatively, make the complete dish and warm it on the stove or in the microwave before serving with additional water or broth to get the consistency you like. The vegetable pasta recipe will keep well in the fridge for 2 days.
Calories: 520kcal | Carbohydrates: 72g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 506mg | Potassium: 742mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 14798IU | Vitamin C: 39mg | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 4mg