Grilled Veggies Recipe with Potatoes
Next time you're grilling some steaks or your favorite protein, try this grilled veggies recipe with potatoes - a super easy two-in-one side dish. Dinner in a flash with whatever veggies you have lying around.
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound (450g) baby/new potatoes, cut in halves or quarters Note 1
- 1 cup (52g) red onion or white, roughly chopped
- 5 cups (800g) vegetables, cut into 1 inch/2.5cm pieces or slightly larger. Note 2
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped herbs, drizzle balsamic reduction, sprinkle lemon zest
HEAT BBQ GRILL to medium high (425F/218C). Spray a grill basket with cooking oil (or use an upside down cooling rack). Place grill basket on grill while it's heating.
PAR COOK POTATOES: While grill is heating, place cut potatoes in covered microwave dish. Microwave for about 3-4 minutes until easily pierced with a knife but not too soft. Alternatively, boil potatoes.
DRESS VEGETABLES: In a large bowl, mix together all seasonings and oil. Add cut vegetables and potatoes. Toss to coat. Add a touch more oil if the veggies seem too dry.
GRILL VEGETABLES: Transfer dressed vegetables into grilling basket. Grill for about 10-12 minutes, stirring once or twice part way through until char marks start to appear. [NOTE: if desired, place veggies to the side and grill steak or chops to serve with vegetables]. Transfer to platter and add garnish if you like.
Nutrition values are estimates based on choices of ingredients used.
- Potatoes - use new/baby potatoes, cut in halves or quarter depending on their size or Yukon gold or red potatoes, cut in 1 inch/2.5cm pieces. Sweet potatoes will work too but make sure they aren't overcooked in the microwave or they can turn mushy.
- Good vegetables to grill are: mushrooms, asparagus, red bell peppers, green peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, snap peas, red onion, green onions. Softer vegetables will cook more quickly. If you want to use root vegetables or harder veggies like brussel sprouts, green beans or carrots, I suggest cutting and microwaving them for a few minutes first.
- Feel free to add diced apples like gala, Fuji, granny smith, golden delicious - any apple that holds its shape when cooked.
- Make ahead: The grilled veggies and potatoes can easily be made ahead and rewarmed in a 375F/190C oven or the grill. Green vegetables, however, may not maintain their vibrant color. Or leave the veggies in the grill basket, turn off the grill and close the lid to keep them warm.
Calories: 314kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 407mg | Potassium: 1038mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 11812IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 87mg | Iron: 4mg