BBQ Sweet Potatoes and Apples
BBQ sweet potatoes with apples, scallions and honey-lime glaze is a delicious, vibrant, healthy side, served warm or room temperature. And a shortcut makes them quick and easy.
Servings (change as needed): 5
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 2 apples Note 1
- 3 large scallions (or green onions)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley, chives or cilantro (garnish)
Honey Lime Glaze
- 1 large lime (juice and zest)
- 2 tablespoon honey (or maple syrup)
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon each, salt and pepper (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin (optional)
HEAT GRILL to medium high.
PREPARE SWEET POTATOES: Pierce sweet potatoes in several places with a sharp knife. Microwave for about 5 minutes or until knife pierces through easily (potatoes should not be too soft - they need to hold up on the grill where they will cook a bit more). Peel potatoes by slicing skin off the sides with a knife. Cut horizontally into 1/2 inch slices.
PREPARE APPLES: Wash apples and cut them horizontally into 1/2 inch slices. Remove middle core from each slice. (Note, if you have an apple corer, core apple first, then slice).
PREPARE THE GLAZE/DRESSING: Combine dressing/glaze ingredients using a small whisk. Taste and adjust to your liking by adding more lime, salt, honey, etc. You will use some glaze/dressing during the grilling stage and the rest to drizzle on the salad when assembled.
OIL POTATOES, APPLES, SCALLIONS - THEN GRILL: Lay scallions, apples and potatoes on a pan lined with foil (for easy cleanup). Brush with oil on both sides. Grill all vegetables 2-3 minutes on one side until charred marks appear. Flip to the other side and brush with glaze. Continue cooking on second side about 2-3 minutes until potatoes and apples are tender (but not mushy). Scallions will take less time to cook. Glaze the second side and transfer to a pan.
ASSEMBLE AND SERVE. Cut apples in half. You can leave the sweet potato disks whole or cut them in half. Cut the scallions in 1-2 inch pieces. Pile sweet potatoes, scallions and apples onto a platter or shallow bowl. Drizzle with remaining glaze/dressing. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Apples: Use apples that hold up well such as golden delicious, pink lady, fuji, gala, honey crisp, granny smith.
- Make ahead: It's fine to make this recipe early in the day and serve it in the evening. Or even make it the day before. It can be warmed in the oven or microwave if you like. Or just bring the dish to room temperature.
Calories: 183kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 148mg | Potassium: 296mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 7623IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg