BBQ Sweet Potatoes and Apples
BBQ sweet potatoes with apples, scallions and honey-lime glaze is a delicious, vibrant, healthy side, ready in 20 minutes. A shortcut makes them quick and easy.
Servings (change as needed): 5
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds/1.9 kg)
- 2 apples, Note 1
- 3 large scallions (green onions)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley, chives or cilantro (garnish)
Honey Lime Glaze, Note 2
- 1 large lime (juice and zest)
- 2 tablespoons honey (or maple syrup)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon each, kosher salt and black pepper (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin (optional)
HEAT GRILL to medium-high heat (425-450F/218-232C).
PREPARE SWEET POTATOES: Pierce sweet potatoes in several places with a sharp knife. Microwave for about 5 minutes or until knife pierces through easily (Potatoes should not be too soft - they need to hold up on the grill where they will cook a bit more). Peel potatoes by slicing skin off the sides with a knife. Cut horizontally into 1/2 inch/1.27 cm slices.
PREPARE APPLES: Wash apples and cut them horizontally into 1/2 inch/1.27 cm slices. Remove middle core from each slice. (Note, if you have an apple corer, core apple first, then slice).
PREPARE THE GLAZE/DRESSING: Combine dressing/glaze ingredients using a small whisk. Taste and adjust to your liking by adding more lime, salt, honey, etc. You will use some glaze/dressing during the grilling stage and the rest to drizzle on the salad when assembled.
OIL POTATOES, APPLES, SCALLIONS - THEN GRILL: Lay scallions, apple slices and potatoes in a single layer on a pan lined with foil or parchment paper (for easy cleanup). Brush with oil on both sides or spray with cooking spray. Grill all vegetables over direct heat for 2-3 minutes on one side until charred marks appear. Flip to the other side and brush with glaze. Continue cooking on second side about 2-3 minutes until potatoes and apples are tender (but not mushy). Scallions will take less time to cook. Glaze the second side and transfer to a pan.
ASSEMBLE AND SERVE. Cut apples in half. You can leave the sweet potato disks whole or cut them in half. Cut the scallions in 3-4 pieces. Pile sweet potatoes, scallions and apples onto a platter or shallow bowl. Drizzle with remaining glaze/dressing. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional information is estimated.
- Apples: Use apples that hold up well such as golden delicious apples, autumn glory apples (with cinnamon notes), pink lady, Fuji, gala, honey crisp, granny smith.
- Honey-lime glaze options:
- Instead of honey and lime, try a maple syrup, lemon and cinnamon glaze. Brown sugar will work as well.
- Skip the glaze and use a shortcut with bottled Thai sweet chili sauce and some lime. This will be spicy.
- Make ahead: It's fine to make this recipe early in the day and serve it in the evening. Or even make it the day before. It can be warmed in the oven or microwave if you like. Or just bring the dish to room temperature. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Calories: 183kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 148mg | Potassium: 296mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 7623IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg