Grilled Carrots With Balsamic Glaze
These vibrant, sweet, tender, caramelized Grilled Carrots with Balsamic Glaze add a little drama to the table. A great side dish for BBQs and potlucks.
Servings (change as needed): 10 (or 8 larger sides)
- 2 pounds (910 kg) whole carrots, peeled (about 30 smaller, thin carrots or 10-15 medium carrots)
- Garnish: chopped green onion, thyme or chives
- 3 tablespoon good quality balsamic vinegar, Note 1
- 1 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup (or honey or brown sugar)
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice (or lemon juice)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (or pinch ground ginger)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped fresh thyme leaves
HEAT GAS GRILL to medium-high heat, 425-450F/218-232C. Spray grates with oil or oil grates with a paper towel dipped in oil.
PARBOIL CARROTS: If using medium or larger carrots, cut the carrots lengthwise in half or quarters to about 1/2-3/4 inch/1.27-1.9 cm thickness for quicker cooking (try to get carrots to about the same thickness for even cooking). Bring 1-2 inches/3-5 cm of water to boil in large saucepan. Add pinch of salt. Add carrots and boil for 7 minutes or until tender and easily pierced with a knife. Cooking time will depend on thickness of carrots. Drain carrots.
MAKE GLAZE: While carrots are boiling, combine all glaze ingredients in a small bowl.
GRILL CARROTS: Place carrots on a large baking sheet and brush with glaze. (I also spray them with some oil to be extra sure of no sticking to grill). Transfer to grill in a single layer. Close lid. Grill over direct heat for 5-6 minutes total, turning and glazing a couple of times.
SERVE: Transfer to plate, drizzle with leftover glaze. Garnish with fresh thyme, green onions or chives. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt if you like. Serve.
Nutrition values are estimates.
- Balsamic vinegar substitute: Use 3 tablespoons cider vinegar (or red wine vinegar) plus 1½ teaspoon sugar.
- Use whatever fresh herbs you like such as rosemary, marjoram, chives or thyme. If you don't have fresh, the rule of thumb is 1 tablespoon fresh herbs = 1 teaspoon dried herbs.
- Try rainbow carrots - a mix of purple, red, yellow and orange carrots.
- Garnish with orange zest for extra zing.
- Make Ahead: The grilled carrots can be made many hours ahead and left on the counter. They can be served at room temperature or warmed for 40-60 seconds in the microwave (or 10 minutes at 350F/177C in the oven). Alternatively, parboil the carrots and make the glaze, leaving the final grilling to just before serving. Store leftovers in airtight container in fridge for 3-4 days. Do not freeze.
Calories: 50kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 122mg | Potassium: 302mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 15165IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg