Best Citrus Salad With Greens
Sweet oranges and tangy grapefruit tossed in vinaigrette over salad greens make this delicious citrus salad a lovely all-season salad. Refreshing and pretty! We use a simple citrus vinaigrette for zip, nuts for crunch and creamy avocado for a contrasting texture. Quick, easy and beautiful.
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 3 navel oranges Note 1
- 1 red grapefruit
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced or sliced
- 1/2 head of lettuce, ripped into bite size pieces butter, Boston or Bibb
- 2 cups (60g or 2 oz) baby spinach leaves, stems removed, ripped into bite size pieces, Note 2
- 1/4 cup (33g) toasted nuts (pine nuts, sliced almonds, sunflower seeds, pecans, pistachios, pistachios, hazelnut, walnuts)
Vinaigrette Dressing, Note 3
- 1.5 tablespoon lemon juice from fresh lemon (substitute white or red wine vinegar if you like)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup neutral olive oil (I don't use extra virgin for this)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (plus more for sprinkling at the end)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Other garnishes (optional)
- pomegranate seeds, goat cheese, herbs (chives, parsley, fresh mint leaves, thyme), green onion, red onion, balsamic reduction drizzle.
PEEL AND CUT CITRUS FRUIT: To remove peel and white pith (the white flesh under the peel) on oranges and grapefruit: cut off both ends of the fruit and set one cut end on the cutting board to stabilize. Use a sharp paring knife to slice down the sides removing the peel and white flesh, conforming to the shape of the fruit. Then cut the fruits into thin slices (about 1/4 inch/0.36cm). Cut grapefruit slices into quarters and orange slices in half. Place fruit and avocado in a bowl.
MAKE VINAIGRETTE DRESSING: Whisk together lemon juice, Dijon, honey, salt and pepper. Slowly add olive oil while whisking, until well blended. Pour half over citrus fruit and gently toss together.
ASSEMBLE CITRUS SALAD: Mix lettuce and spinach together and divide among 4 plates (or lay out on a serving platter or shallow bowl). When ready to serve (not before as greens will wilt), place fruit over the lettuce and sprinkle with toasted nuts. Drizzle extra dressing on if needed (you probably won't need it all). Garnish with your choice of garnishes above. Sprinkle on sea salt or kosher salt.
Nutrition values are estimates and only include toasted nuts for garnish. Note that values will be lower if you don't use all of the dressing. I find you don't need it all.
- Types of citrus to use: Cara cara oranges, naval oranges, tart blood oranges, valencia. Tangerines or mandarins are also great when in season in the winter. Grapefruit options: ruby red, pink grapefruit or pomelo.
- Green lettuce variations: use any greens. I like to use a combination of dark and pale leaf lettuce. Good options are baby spinach, spring mix, kale, arugula, red lettuce or frisee.
- Vinaigrette dressing - for a shortcut, buy a good quality dressing (balsamic, raspberry, honey, etc). Not a creamy one. Or try this homemade orange vinaigrette dressing.
- Make ahead: You can prep the fruit and dressing hours ahead of time, but I suggest assembling just before serving. Don't cut the avocado too far in advance as it can turn brown. Squeeze a bit of orange or lemon over it to prevent that.
Calories: 355kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 18g | Sodium: 324mg | Potassium: 699mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 3125IU | Vitamin C: 93mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 2mg