Sweet Potato Curry Soup
Curried Sweet Potato Soup topped with Parmesan cheese makes a hearty, healthy satisfying starter or meal. Robust, rich and spicy. And packed with nutrition.
Servings (change as needed): 5 -7
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled, cut into small pieces (1/2 inch)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoon garlic, minced (or 3 tsp if you like)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin (or more)
- 1/2 teaspoon each, salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes (pretty spicy)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 4-5 cups baby spinach use less if you don't want the color so green
- GARNISH: Parmesan cheese, grated
SAUTE VEGETABLES: Heat oil in large pot on medium high. Add sweet potato, onions, peppers and carrots. Saute for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and stir for a minute. Mix in all seasonings and cook another minute.
SIMMER SOUP: Add broth. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer soup for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Stir in spinach and cook for a minute until wilted.
FINISH AND SERVE: Using an immersion blender (or blender), puree the soup to the level of smoothness you prefer. (I like to leave some small pieces in the soup for texture, but it's up to you). Taste and adjust seasonings. If too thick, add a bit more broth or some cream. Ladle into bowls and, if desired, garnish with grated Parmesan cheese, croutons or bread toasted with Parmesan cheese on top.
Make Ahead: Keeps well in fridge for 4-5 days.
Nutrition values are estimates
Calories: 124kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 1321mg | Potassium: 417mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 11581IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 119mg | Iron: 2mg