Vegetable Rice Soup Recipe
This versatile Vegetable Rice Soup is a hearty, healthy meal in a bowl. Roasted vegetables add a depth to this simple comfort soup.
Servings (change as needed): 4 -6
for Roasted Vegetables
- 1 large carrot or 2-3 small ones, shaved with a peeler or cut in small pieces
- 1 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 4-5 cups other vegetables cut in chunks (e.g. red pepper, mushrooms, green onions, asparagus, zucchini),
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onions (about 1 onion)
- 2 tsp minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- OPTIONAL: 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder; 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes; pinch of cumin
- 5 cup vegetable or chicken broth (or 4 cups broth, 1 cup water)
- 1 1/2 cup cooked or leftover rice (made from 1/2 cup uncooked rice - follow package directions)
- 3 cup fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 425F. Line large pan with parchment paper (or foil sprayed with oil).
PREPARE VEGETABLES: In a large mixing bowl, add all vegetables, oil. salt , pepper and thyme. Mix to combine. Pour onto lined pan.
ROAST VEGETABLES: Put pan in oven and roast for 25-30 minutes until starting to caramelize/brown. Stir half way through. (Note: vegetables can be made a day or two ahead and stored in the fridge).
MAKE SOUP: Heat oil in a large pot to medium high. Add onions and saute for a few minutes until translucent. Add garlic, thyme (and curry, cumin and/or chili flakes if using) and stir for another minute. Add broth, rice and roasted vegetables. Cook for 5 minutes. Add spinach and stir for a minute until wilted. Taste and adjust seasonings.
SERVE: Ladle into bowls. Serve with warmed crusty french bread on the side or with homemade croutons on top (Note 1)
Nutrition value estimates do not include croutons.
- To make croutons: Cut 2 slices bread into 1/2-1 inch pieces. Most breads are fine. Stale is good but not essential. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan to medium or medium high heat. Add bread pieces in a single layer in pan. Sprinkle with salt (and garlic powder if desired). Continue to toast, stirring occasionally until nicely browned, about 4-5 minutes.
Calories: 400kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1308mg | Potassium: 805mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 16037IU | Vitamin C: 47mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 4mg