Balsamic Glazed Chicken
With just 6 ingredients, balsamic glazed chicken is a simple family meal. Sweet, tangy, delicious chicken.
Servings (change as needed): 4
- 3 1/2 pounds (1.6kg) bone-in chicken pieces, Note 1
- 2 tablespoon parsley or green onions, chopped (optional for garnish)
Balsamic Chicken Marinade/Glaze, Note 2
- 6 tablespoon (90ml) good quality Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 cup (117g) ketchup
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup (or honey)
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard (or whole grain)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional, but good!)
Preheat oven to 400F.
MAKE BALSAMIC GLAZE: Place all glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and stir to combine. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes until glaze thickens and coats the back of a spoon. (if you increase the amount of glaze, you might need a bit more time).
PREPARE CHICKEN: Put chicken pieces in a large mixing bowl. Reserve 1/4 cup of glaze and pour the rest on the chicken. Mix to coat chicken evenly. (At this point you can refrigerate for several hours or over night if you like). Place chicken on a baking pan, lined with parchment paper or foil sprayed with oil for easy clean up.
BAKE: For bone-in chicken, bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on size of chicken pieces or until an instant thermometer reads 155F/68C. Or to 160F/71C if you are not finishing with a quick broil. Note 3 to bake boneless chicken. Optional: To get a nice shiny finish, brush on some reserved glaze and broil chicken 6-10 inches from heat for 3-4 minutes, watching to make sure it doesn't burn. Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Sprinkle with parsley or green onions if desired and serve immediately.
- Types of chicken you can use for about 4 servings
- whole chicken, cut up into 8 pieces
- 3 1/2 pounds (1.6kg) bone-in chicken pieces, dark or white meat
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts, pounded to even 1/2-3/4 inch (1.2-1.9cm) thickness
- 2 lbs boneless thighs
- I use bone-in kosher chicken as it is already brined which makes it very juicy and flavorful.
- Amount of marinade/glaze to make: You will have plenty of glaze if you are using boneless chicken. You will also have enough glaze for bone-in to brush on extra for a final broil finish. If you want extra sauce/glaze for drizzling on rice, for example, make 1.5 times the amounts in the recipe.
- To bake boneless chicken (instead of bone-in): Bake boneless chicken at 425F/218C. Bake boneless breasts for 15-18 minutes and boneless thighs for 25-30 minutes depending on size. Temperature should measure 160F/71C on an instant thermometer if not broiling to finish (or 155F/68C if broiling). If broiling, place pan 6 inches from top of oven to broil.
- Make Ahead
Nutrition values are estimates and will depend on the kind of chicken used and the amount of glaze used.
- Option 1: Prepare glaze, combine with chicken, reserving 1/4 cup for later, place in large bowl, container or ziploc bag. Refrigerate for up to a day. Bake as directed when needed. Use extra sauce to pass around or drizzle on before broiling.
- Option 2: Complete the recipe except for broiling at the end. I under cook a little to 155F. Cover chicken with foil and keep it in a low heat (e.g. 160-200F) for up to an hour. Or turn the oven off if you are serving within 1/2 hour. Broil for a few minutes just before serving.
Calories: 665kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 51g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 202mg | Sodium: 787mg | Potassium: 654mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 532IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 3mg